[Engineering] Skipping Freshman classes with AP credit?

<p>Hi, I'm incoming international freshman for this fall.</p>

<p>I got 5 on both Calc BC and Physics C Mech.</p>

<p>VT website says I can skip Calc 1205 and 1206, and Foundation of Physics.</p>

<p>So, how are these classes? I'm worried that if these courses are prerequisite courses for the next level classes, I might fail in these classes because I didn't take them. </p>

<p>Is there anyone who had trouble because they skipped the classes?</p>

<p>A pretty decent percentage of engineers skip Calc I (1205) so I wouldn’t worry at all about that one. If you’re very confident in your Calc II (1206) I don’t think it’d foul you up too much to skip it either, although that’s certainly more rare.</p>

<p>I’d advise against skipping Physics though. It’s a very fundamental class to a lot of what you’ll be doing (Calc is too but from my experience AP Calc is more comprehensive that AP Physics compared to college classes) and its good to take a couple classes where you already know some of the material just so you can get your study habits/time management/test taking etc skills up to a collegiate level before you start getting into the very difficult classes.</p>

<p>What do you plan to major in?</p>

<p>If you’re looking at electrical engineering, computer engineering, or computer science, go ahead and skip the first semester of Physics (the mechanics half). For electrical/computer engineers, they will need to take the second semester of Physics anyway, which is more relevant to electrical/computer engineers than the first semester. </p>

<p>Otherwise, it’s a matter of how comfortable you feel with the material. If you do decide to skip Physics, you will see and learn some of the material again in Statics and later classes, but you will have an easier time if you already have a good understanding of mechanics. If you don’t, go with what chuy said.</p>

<p>As for calculus, are you okay with derivatives? Integrals (u-sub, by parts)? Trigonometry? If yes, skip it. Some of the BC material, such as sequences and series, will be covered again, otherwise you can refresh yourself on some of the small details if you need to.</p>