ENGR 103 - Mid Term grade :(

<p>Sorry I did mean ECE 121 not ECE 101. It’s true that the 121 classes are designed to be an introduction to the major, but the reality of ECE121 last fall (per my son) is that it was almost all basic math/science concepts for quizzes/tests and not much (if any) an overview of electrical engineering. The information specific to EE was pretty generic and about what you would get from a few internet searches on the topic. (My son often has a different take on things- if any others who took ECE121, or any of the 121 classes, want to chime in on the course content that would be great)</p>

<p>While ECE 121 is a 1 credit required course and would have to be taken, I still don’t think taking it would provide much info about whether or not to choose EE for a major. </p>

<p>I think Electrical circuits would be a useful knowledge/skill set (it has a lab) for a physics major even if EE isn’t pursued. </p>

<p>@GAMomto4 - It’s ECE 121, not 101. (There’s no ECE 101.)</p>

<p>@aeromom - As I understand it, students are required to take one of the 1-hour intro courses, but it doesn’t matter which one. In other words, a student majoring in mechanical satisfies that requirement if if she did the intro class for civil engineering. While it certainly makes the most sense to do the intro course in the discipline the student is expecting to pursue, if she isn’t sure yet, and ends up picking a different intro class, she won’t need to re-do it.</p>

<p>@GAMomto4‌
Thank you so much for that explanation. It is incredibly helpful. Yes, you remembered correctly. He has taken five of the required physics courses required for physics majors. He is out of town today, unfortunately for the funeral of a friend, but I will show him your post when he comes home on Sunday. I think the approach you describe is one that would definitely be to his benefit. </p>

<p>Thank you again for taking the time to type that out.</p>

<p>So is there no reliable way to get a serious introduction to each of the engineering disciplines BEFORE choosing a specific track to follow?</p>

<p>Is it better for my son to just start out on the mechanical engineering track and then change later if he doesn’t like it, or is there a track for “undecided” engineers? I can’t figure that out from the Freshman Engineering Program page.</p>

<p>Isn’t ENGR 111 a general overview of all the engineering disciplines? It’s a 1 hour class that my DD is taking because CHE 125 was full. Would that help? </p>

<p>@LuvLABS, yes, that sounds perfect! My son hasn’t attended Bama Bound yet, but is ENGR 111 something all engineering students take?</p>

<p>When commenting on ECE 121 earlier this thread I was remembering conversations I had with my son last Fall. Seeing others’ comments on my post made me realize my 53 year old selective memory may not have been capable of presenting the full picture, so I just asked my son to clarify the content a little more. Turns out (who knew?) I was missing some info. Here’s what he said… </p>

<p>All 121 classes discuss how to find research opportunities on campus, apply for internships, choose electives, etc. Big picture kind of stuff. One assignment was even to write a resume. The focus on that assignment was to highlight the differences between a high school/college app resume and a “young professional” resume.</p>

<p>The course also talked about the broadness of ECE and informed students of 3 areas to specialize in based on their interests and gave a brief introduction to course content for each of these: circuit design, programming, and materials. He was already in a programming and circuit class and he liked those. His brief exposure to materials in that class helped him know he had no desire to pursue that route(: .</p>

<p>The cool thing about ECE 121 is it’s a 1 credit class that meets 3 hours/week…for 5 weeks only. So he signed up for the first one (it filled up the quickest) and was done, including the final, before the end of September. This timing made it easy to add to what was already a pretty full schedule. It was nice getting that extra time back for the last 2/3 of the semester. </p>

<p>@LucieTheLakie I think each type of engineering has a course that is numbered 120something that gives an overview of that type of engineering and is only for part of the semester as mentioned above. DD is majoring in ChemE and is pretty sure about it and so wanted CHE 125 but it was full and the advisor said ENGR111 is comparable. But in the main engineering session at BB, the advisors said it was more for those who didn’t know what type of engineering they wanted or were undecided. I wanted her to try to change but she seems OK with it. </p>

<p>I’m just guessing that not many incoming undecided engineering students w-/could be taking ECE225, since the prereqs include PH 106/126, MATH227 (Calc III), and MATH238 (DiffEQ). Yes, if you’re that far along already as an incoming Freshman, ECE121 is going to be a major snore, no doubt. ;)</p>

<p>@aeromom That is probably true. But the information was incredibly helpful for me. I am thankful she posted it b/c I think my ds will change his schedule for the fall. So thank you @Gamomto4</p>

<p>My post #68 was in response to post #58 suggesting that students skip ECE121 if they have a bucketload of incoming credits. People should not skip engineering 121 classes IMO - they are useful. Yes, all of this info collectively here is very useful in deciding which level to enter the engineering track. :wink: </p>

<p>In fact, I just checked 4 of the main eng’g flowcharts for Fall 2014 (CE, ECE, ME, Aero), and each of these lists that the student takes the xxx121 course (in their discipline) AND ENGR103. So, again, I am really confused as to why students are being advised to skip xxx121 and/or ENGR 103 in ANY of the main engineering majors. If someone with experience from this year’s BamaBound could weigh in with current info, that would be helpful. Perhaps there is something being handed out on paper that states different flowcharts to what is on the websites?</p>

<p>@aeromom‌
That post was actually responding to my question. I do not think she was making it as a general suggestion. The situation is atypical for incoming freshman. </p>

<p>You are correct, Aeromom, the 121/125 1/2 credit intro engineering class is required; I didn’t mean to cause confusion. I just meant, for the person who asked the question, I didn’t think the class would be as useful as a higher level EE class in deciding whether or not to keep EE as a 2nd major.
If he decided to go the EE route he could add it later,or he could take it in addition to a higher level EE class early in the semester this fall in addtion to his regular class load.</p>

<p>Last year students were allowed to exempt ENGR103 if they placed into Calc 3 or higher. (My son decided to take the class and is glad he did.) I too would be interested to hear what the entering freshman at BB this summer were told about the ENGR 103 exemption. .</p>

<p>We had BB this week. Nothing was said during the group advising session about anyone exempting out of ENGR 103. The advisors said the regular and honors sections were exactly the same, so take honors if you need honors classes. Said there would be 4-6 hours of homework/week in both so you might as well get the honors credit. When our son, who could have started with Calc III, talked individually with an advisor he was not told he could exempt out of the class. But he didn’t ask either. </p>

<p>Our son is an undecided engineering major so we asked specifically about ENGR 111 vs the specific discipline 1hr intro courses. ENGR 111 does not give an overview of all disciplines but teaches about what engineering was, is and will be in the future. They advised our son to take the intro course of the discipline that he was leaning most towards. He is taking ME 121. </p>

<p>That’s so helpful, @SouthernLady1‌. Thank you so much!</p>