Environmental Sciences/Studies colleges

From what I’ve heard, most colleges do really like to see Physics so yes I would fit that in to the schedule.

3 Likes

Physics is not absolutely necessary for all the schools on the list. My D23 – similar to your daughter, strong interest and spikes in journalism and environmental studies – did not take physics and got into many of the schools on your list (Bates, Macalester, Mount Holyoke, Pitzer, Scripps). She didn’t get into Bowdoin or Middlebury (applied RD at both – Middlebury is an especially difficult admit RD) and was WL at Colby. Was the absence of physics a factor in these decisions? Maybe, who knows? But she had good choices in the end. And all of this is information is just to show you that if your D’s interests and strengths lie elsewhere, she does not absolutely have to take physics to get into most of the schools you’re thinking about. As long as she is challenging herself in sciences and in other subjects – and it looks like she is – then she’ll likely have some good options. You have a very good list, I think.

2 Likes

My son was an Environmental Science major and part of his program required 2 quarters of Physics so I would check each schools Environmental curriculum. If possible, she would want some exposure to the subject prior to college. Physics, Chemistry and Biology are all recommended HS courses for any student wanting to pursue a Science related major. Physics does not need to be AP or even Honors, but nice to have the course on the HS transcript.

6 Likes

Depends on whether she’s leaning more toward enviro sciences or studies. These programs have different requirements, so it’s worth looking at catalogues of a range of colleges. Sciences will obviously be more science-heavy. Studies will include a have dose of social sciences and humanities and might not have rigorous science requirements beyond courses in biology and ecology.

2 Likes

My D24 is in a similar boat. My concern is that Physics at her school is offered only as ‘Physics in the Universe’, or AP physics. We decided to take the ‘slight’ risk that a few schools will care and take physics in college as needed. I just don’t think ‘Physics in the Universe’ will do much to prepare for a college level physics class and AP physics next year is a stress she does not want. Her transcript will have AP ES, chem and bio.
She is targeting schools in the 50-150 range, so I think/hope impact will be negligible.

1 Like

Dickinson College is known for their environmental and sustainability education. It is a liberal arts college that would allow your child to pursue a women’s studies major too. They also are known for being very LGBTQ friendly and have an active outing club that goes on frequent outdoor trips. The school does provide merit aid.

2 Likes

Are there any colleges on this list that it would be really unusual to find a student with blue or purple or pink hair? What about which ones would a student like that would feel very comfortable? Thanks.

Allegheny College
Bates
Bowdoin
Carleton
Colby
Dickinson
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Macalester
Middlebury
Mount Holyoke
Oberlin
Pitzer
Pomona
Scripps
St Olaf
University of Oregon
University of Vermont
Willamette

Probably few colleges in the country - or workplaces - where this isn’t common. Even in the current climate.

Tats, piercings, color in the hair. Personally not a fan but they are EVERYWHERE.

so I’m sure your student won’t feel out of place by anywhere on that list or frankly most anywhere.

3 Likes

Very comfortable at Oberlin! You should see the picture on my kid’s Oberlin ID - half pink/half blue!

3 Likes

She would definitely be comfortable at Dickinson with colored hair.

1 Like

Starting junior year. Still 4.0 GPA, 1340 PSAT. Taking practice online PSAT this week through College Board. We visited a few colleges this summer - St Olaf, Carleton, Macalester, and Wisconsin together; Hobart and William Smith just her; University of Oregon just me.

Right now she prefers LACs but we’ll visit Wash U and maybe Northwestern to see what she thinks about medium size schools. Slight preference for Macalester so far.

Are University of Oregon and University of Vermont safeties for out of state?

Bates
Bowdoin
Carleton
Colby
Dickinson
Hobart and William Smith
Macalester
Middlebury
Pitzer
Pomona
Skidmore
University of Oregon
University of Vermont

1 Like

Orego yes. UVM likely but depends more on the overall package…rigor etc.

But if she likes LACs, why not find an LAC or two safety instead ?

Ps - you’re nearly a year early to finalize a list.

I know it’s early, but it’s fun. lol And we’re trying to see where to visit over spring break. I was thinking Claremont Colleges vs Maine schools…

1 Like

Make sure your kid gets to UO. I assume you enjoyed it but will she ??

I will. She really didn’t like Wisconsin. Way too big and loud. UO seems much smaller and a more contained campus.

1 Like

What’s the best resource for finishing out how common undergrad research is at a school?

What are good safety LACs for Environmental Studies that have undergrad research and address in a blue state? Is HWS a safety or a match? Thanks.

Allegheny College in Pennsylvania (Environmental Science and Sustainability major)

3 Likes

Most LACs tout research opportunities for undergrads, and I think it’s pretty common for professors to have undergrads working on their research projects, but the best way to find out is to search “undergrad research” for each college, and you should be able to find out about specific opportunities that way.

EDIT to add: some colleges require an undergraduate thesis for graduation, so that might interest you. Bates is one, and I think Occidental does, too. I know there are others.

2 Likes

Juniata College (also in Pennsylvania) - 5 different environmental POEs (majors)

3 Likes

Hobart - assuming the 4.0 has rigor and even if it doesn’t - safety.

Kalamazoo has an open curriculum and studies. They give big merit.

I’m sure as @Shelby_Balik states, you’ll find research - but need to find the right school.

Many LACs out there in blue states.

4 Likes