Essay

<p>Hello! I'm an incoming senior applying to Wisconsin, and I'm wondering if you can give any feedback about my essay. Here's the prompt:</p>

<p>Tell us why you decided to apply to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In addition, share with us the academic, extracurricular, or research opportunities you would take advantage of as a student. If applicable, provide details of any circumstance that could have had an impact on your academic performance and/or extracurricular involvement.</p>

<p>Throughout my life, one of the biggest lessons that I had always learned was striving to be the best that you can be. My father kept reminding me that lesson for as long as I could even remember. My Track and Field coach kept reminding our entire team this lesson in hopes of earning a shot at the state title. In short, it didn't matter if it was in academics, sports, or hobbies. You had to perform to the best of your ability. And I feel that the University of Wisconsin-Madison excels at convincing students to achieve as they transition into their new surroundings. Luckily, with numerous programs ranked as one of the best in the nation, Wisconsin never fails to help bring motivation and success to many of its students and alumni. As a result of this, I started to build a keen interest in applying to Wisconsin.
So why is it that I am planning to apply to this university? Well, not only does Wisconsin strive for excellence, it also brings endless opportunities for its students during and after their college years. After all, there’s a reason why it’s known to many as a prestigious public university. With an interest in attaining a degree in Economics, I am well aware of what Wisconsin has to offer in that department. Ranked high in the nation, an Economics major from Wisconsin would help unleash an endless supply of research and job opportunities after college. And to think that all of this is only located four hours away from my house is phenomenal!
However, excellent academic opportunities are not the only factors that make the University of Wisconsin so great. With a rich tradition being rooted since its foundation in 1848, the university has helped make the city of Madison a lively place to be in. And I would be delighted to take part in the Badger community, whether it is jumping around in football games to serving my role in one of the 750 extracurricular activities offered in the university. Also, as a member of the track team in high school, it would be a great experience for me to join the university’s running club, or even find out how Madison’s great outdoors are like.
In conclusion, the University of Wisconsin-Madison is like a package deal to me. It has everything you want in a university, and then some. I've already lived believing that success could take you to unreachable limits. Maybe I can see that unreachable limit at Wisconsin.</p>

<p>So how is it? If you can, please offer any changes or comments. Thanks! </p>

<p>bump</p>

<p>Don’t use “you,” use “one”. Ie: one has to (blank). It’s a lot more formal.
Also, try telling a story wherein. When did your dad first tell you that? Did it help you achieve something you didn’t think you could?
A lot of the tone of the essay seems really informal (I’d stray away from questions), plus it looks short (although this is the additional statement and not the actual essay question this year).</p>

<p>Well, it did say that 300-500 words would be sufficient, but I do agree that I should make it more formal. Thanks!</p>