Establishing Residency in California

Hi everyone!

I am currently looking at this guide for petitioning California residency. Currently I live in Florida, but have always planned to move to California no matter the school I end up at; I love the state and hope to contribute to the economy.

This is the actual application I’d be filling out in two years assuming I attend UCI (which I was accepted to and plan to attend unless Berkeley accepts, haha): http://www.reg.uci.edu/residency/downloads/reclass_undergrad.pdf

I understand how difficult it is to establish residency but I certainly want to try anyway. There are a few things I was going to do anyway as soon as I arrive which already sets me up on the path to establishing residency such as:

• Obtaining a California license
  • Registering to vote
  • Part-time employment during school, full-time during summer
  • Moving off campus after freshman year to an apartment in which I can pay rent
  • Parents are not claiming me on tax returns 2016 and on
  • Open a checking/savings in a local California bank

I read the document and went over it with both of my parents and they are on board with me trying. I guess my question is advice regarding this (DOs and DONTs). Does anyone have any experience regarding this? Does the parent plus loan have any effect? If so, what if I get a private loan instead?

I plan on pursuing graduate school as well at a UC so there is no doubt that I am committed to California. Any input is would be graciously appreciated.

Thank you!

Impossible.

@TomSrOfBoston Do you mind elaborating? I understand that it is difficult, but I just want to know how I can make it more feasible.

You cannot establish residency if a full time student.

How do you propose to show that you are independent and pay for 2 years of tuition/room/board/books/fees etc… at around $60K/year costs for a UC?

Parent plus loans do not constitute self-support (see below). Who is going to loan an 18 year old that amount of money to attend??

Student is self-sufficient. He has supported himself for two full years prior to the residence determination date of the term he proposes to attend the University through his own resources, such as employment, commercial/institutional loans in his name only, financial aid and saving from earnings, all of which require official documentation (note: the two years required for self-support might not coincide with the two tax years he must not have been claimed by any individual). Budget Worksheet (PDF)
-To verify financial independence (self-sufficiency/ self-support), the student must document his or her income and verify that he or she was not claimed as an exemption by parents or anyone else for the two years prior to the request for residence.
-The student is also required to present a budget showing how he or she is able to be supported by the funds claimed.
-Self-support is defined as money which can be officially documented that the student has earned through his or her own employment, commercial loans, financial aid, savings and/ or other loans obtained with the student’s own credit, without a cosigner. Parent PLUS loans cannot be considered self-support.
-Loans or gifts from relatives, associates, or friends, regardless of the terms, are considered financial assistance and cannot be included as student income when determining self-support. Non-institutional loans or funds that are “gifted” to the student by a relative, associate, or friend, through a “college fund,” savings, trust, or other financial vehicle, will not be considered if the funds were established after the student’s 14th birthday.
-If the student’s income is a trust account established prior to the student’s 14th birthday, the student must also verify that he or she has complete control of the trust, that the funds available at the time of origination were sufficient to allow the student to be entirely self-supporting, and that the trust has been in use to support the student. -Copies of yearly beginning balances, withdrawals, deposits, and ending balances of the trust account(s) will be required. Non-verifiable income cannot be considered.
-Residing in California with an aunt, uncle, grandparent, or friend who provides the student with room and board cannot be considered self-support, even if that person meets the UC residence requirement. “Bartering” for free room and board or other services or necessities will be considered financial assistance.

Not going to happen unless your parents move with you.

@TomSrOfBoston Not that I don’t believe you, I just want to read more, but can you provide a source?

I’ve looked on http://www.ucop.edu/residency/process.html, http://www.ucop.edu/residency/process.html, and http://ucop.edu/residency/establishing-residency.html and I don’t see that anywhere. Perhaps I am reading over it?

Second paragraph. You are grasping at straws in an attempt to pay instate tuition and UC will know that.

@Gumbymom First off, I appreciate all of your help today, haha.

I understand that Parent Plus loans do NOT help me demonstrate self-sufficiency, but assuming I have a job that is able to demonstrate my self-sufficeincy while enrolled, why does this not work? I understand that I won’t get in-state tuition for the first couple years, maybe even all four years of my undergraduate career.
I want to pursue graduate education as well and at the very minimum want to be established as a resident by then. I can scrape for funds to attend both undergrad and graduate school without in-state tuition, but the sooner I can establish myself obviously the better.

Basically, UC “follows the money”. They will want to know who is paying for your tuition and room/board. If that money is coming from an out-of-state source (like an out-of-state family), then you won’t qualify as a CA resident for tuition purposes, even if you can make a case that you personally reside in CA.

If you can convince your family to relocate to CA, and to earn income in CA and pay CA state taxes, then you would likely qualify as a resident after a year or two.

If you go to work in CA, earn income in CA and pay CA state taxes, and can make enough money to pay for your tuition and room/board without out-of-state support, then you would likely qualify as a resident after two years. You have to be totally self-sufficient in this regard:

Neither of these options is practical for most out-of-state students, which is why:

http://ucop.edu/residency/establishing-residency.html

How can hoe “scrape up” $60,000/year for 4 or 5 years?

I have no problem doing this, in-fact, was planning on doing this anyway. It seems like the largest barrier is the Parent Plus loan. Even though I, solely, will be paying this back, I think that it is in my parents name. Is this source an issue? Payments are deferred until my graduation I understand.

I apologize for all of the questions. It is a big step I am taking to move 3000 miles away and I am trying to get every question answered. :slight_smile:
I just want everyone to know that I am not trying to manipulate the system, rather see what my potential routes are especially as I plan to go to graduate school.

@TomSrOfBoston I am not here to explain my entire financial situation and post W-2s. All I am saying is that I will be able to attend without in-state tuition, so that isn’t an issue. I just want to see how possible it is to establish myself early in preparation for grad school.

Why not just go to college in FL and move to CA after you graduate. This whole obsession with CA is irrational.

You will most likely be out of state. That’s a lot of money. Even if you “love the state,” you should love (and respect) your parent’s money more. Even if OOS tuition is manageable, I mean.

You may not be here to explain your situation but UCI will want an explanation.

Yes, I agree. Doesn’t seem realistic at all to get residency.

I appreciate everyone’s input, but out of curiosity, what is the actual intent for this application if it isn’t for people like me who want to be in California for more than just education? http://www.reg.uci.edu/residency/downloads/reclass_undergrad.pdf

It’s much easier to qualify for UC residency as a grad student. Just tell your parents to stop claiming you as a dependent.

http://ucop.edu/residency/establishing-residency.html

@Corbett That is great news, awesome.

I noticed this clause in their full policy document. http://ucop.edu/general-counsel/_files/ed-affairs/uc-residence-policy.pdf#page=18

Okay, my last grasp for straws here: Does this mean that this (ParentPlus) doesn’t help me in proving my case that I am a self-sufficient (which makes sense), but it doesn’t hurt me either? As long as I have another way to prove it, as in a job that pays for my own rent, food, etc.

A ParentPlus loan is a loan to your parents, not to you, regardless of who repays it. By definition, if your parent is receiving a loan to cover the cost of your education, you are not self-supporting and cannot claim California residency.