Estimate your admissions decision from UCSD

<p>^ You could still end up with a random number like that once you add your test scores and (*8). I think they do give whole increments like 150 or 300 and not random numbers like 87 or something.</p>

<p>^ That’s what I thought too, but then alot of ppl get confused in march when they thought their points added up should’ve been higher than the cutoff by 100 points or so and then get rejected.</p>

<p>from my own personal calculation, i come up at around 7700, below the estimated 7800 cut off point for 2010 applicants.</p>

<p>since i come up relatively short from the cutoff at UCSD would it be logical to assume that I can get into UCI and UCSB with what I have?</p>

<p>I would think so, but I’ve gone over my UCSD numbers soo many times looking for ways to squeeze in a few extra points. Nothing dishonest or anything like that, but putting down every bit of information that could possibly help me plus structuring my personal statement to add to it also. Make sure you’re not missing anything that could give you points. I saw on Santa Barbara’s website a list of things they look for to basically give you “points” and it was different from SD so I’m not sure how well someone on the borderline (like me…) with SD will do with Santa Barbara. Good luck.</p>

<p>since the different campuses look to different factors, there is no simple hierarchy to predict acceptances. As one small example, while UCSD looks at volunteer activities, UCD does not. UCSB has half their assessment based on more subjective ‘promise’ factors, which do not have a clear numerical value or clearly stated criteria.</p>

<p>are all the UC’s admission criteria listed on their websites?</p>

<p>UCLA and UCB are quite vague as they use a more traditional, “Ivy” like holistic process. The others describe their factors but with varying degrees of specificity. UCSD is the most transparent and clear, but it is possible to recreate the exact formula for some. I did both UCD and UCSC that way. Others like UCSB may have an exact formula but about half the decision points come from a category of ‘promise’ that has only vague descriptions. Essentially it sounds like a reader of the app could mark you for one or more ‘promise’ categories and rank/rate the promise, in some unspecified way. Without the ‘promise’ points, anyone scoring high enough on the other factors gets in, but you need the ‘promise’ points to know who might be offered a slot in spite of stats that are well below averages.</p>

<p>I am redoing my estimate. I used the wrong SAT II scores for some reason and I have more points than I thought.</p>

<p>UC GPA: 3.57 (3570)
Tests: ACT 28 (converted to 1860) + SAT II Lit 570 + SAT II Math 2 610 *.8 (2918)
First Generation: Y (300)
Beyond Minimum A-G: 46 (500)
Volunteer Hours: 200+ (300)
Personal Hardship: Death of sibling (500)</p>

<p>Total: 8,088.</p>

<p>So I just calculated my scores and this is what I got. And How do they know if you have low income and are first generation???</p>

<p>GPA: 4400
Tests: 2776
A-G Classes: 500 i believe
ELC: 300
Low income: 300
First Generation: 300
Leadership: 150? (Pres of 1 club, Treasurer of 1 club)
Volunteer: 300
=8726</p>

<p>dcolb00 – your test scores multiplied by .8 are wrong… i did it myself and it turned out to be 2432. </p>

<p>1860 + 610 + 570 = 3040 x.8 = 2432</p>

<p>meaning adding up all your points from all other criteria it would add up to 7602, unless im calculating wrong</p>

<p>abc0123 – there is a section on the application, part 4 i believe where it asks for the income your family recieves every year, from there they will deduce whether or not you meet that benchmark… in terms of first generation status the application also asks you of your parent’s highest education level, simply list that they did not graduate from college and you should recieve the points necessary, not that you need it anyways with ur high gpa and test score :P</p>

<p>jmsy- you are right. I have 2 calculators on my computer and they both gave me different totals. I didn’t realize it until I tried them side by side. yeah, that’s quite a difference. Well, I’m hoping my SAT II’s come back with higher scores and maybe I will get some points in the other categories that I am just counting as “0” because I’m not sure that I will get anything there. Is 7800 going to be enough or do we need 8,000?</p>

<p>Well last year it was like 7738 or so… this year there is a good chance it might reach 8000… who knows, we’ll just have to wait and see…</p>

<p>I don’t think it will raise 200+ points. 7800 seems to be a good estimate.</p>

<p>hopefully that will be so lol, just be prepared to expect anything</p>

<p>dcolb, which 2 calculators did you have?</p>

<p>On my Mac there are two different calculators. I have been using the one on my dashboard the entire time, but it wouldn’t come up, so I used a different one that is on my computer. I discovered that when I hit the *.8 it was adding more points to my score before it multiplied. Totally sucks. Now I’m back to under 7800 and hoping that some of my other points will end up counting. I could end up at 8,000 if they give me points besides the ones I am counting for myself. I am trying to be very conservative and not get my hopes up, but this is my #1 choice.</p>

<p>ahhh I thought you meant point calculators. Would you still happen to have a reference for the point calculator somewhere?</p>

<p>Anyways, here goes my shot:
UCGPA= 3810 points</p>

<p>Tests= 2890 (33 ACT, 750 USHistory, 660 Math II- thinking I can milk another 80 points in this category retaking ACT and Math II/Bio/Lit)</p>

<p>A-G= 500 points (over 50 courses)</p>

<p>Educational Environment: 300 points. My school is horrible</p>

<p>First Generation College Attendance: 150 points (Both parents went to “some college”, neither graduated)</p>

<p>Community Service: 300 points. Over 200 hours</p>

<p>Total: 7950, expecting admission to UCSD.</p>

<p>Worst Case scenario I do not get the educational environment points, but my school has a 610ish API score so I think that qualifies for bottom 40% (although not getting these points would likely cause a rejection)</p>

<p>. Best case scenario I get an extra 150 points for leadership (Principal’s advisory committee, VP of travel club, member of city youth council, adviser to a scholarship board) Also best case scenario I might get 250 points for personal struggle/growth)</p>

<p>So I range anywhere from 7650 (unlikely) to 7950 (most likely) to 8350 (unlikely)</p>

<p>Dcolb, your test scores add up to 2420. You take the SAT/ACT * 2/3, then add that to your two highest test scores, at least that’s how I remember seeing it. Although I hope you’re right- your way would give me more points.</p>

<p>This runs in conjunction with the maximum points on rubric (your way also does):
2400* 2/3= 1600 + 800 + 800 = 3200.</p>

<p>Also, not sure, but I think the benchmark for recieving 500 points on A-G criteria is 50 courses, and below that is 250. Benchmark could be 40 though.</p>