Estimate your admissions decision from UCSD

<p>Here is a spreadsheet to estimate the points you will be assigned by the admissions committee of UCSD and to check against a rough estimate of the cutoff point for acceptances.</p>

<p>[Google</a> Docs - ucsd score](<a href=“http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pKB1yD5iQn_8wqH5bhMkhZw]Google”>http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pKB1yD5iQn_8wqH5bhMkhZw)</p>

<p>UCSD has a very specific rubric for assigning the points, so be conservative in giving yourself the points. For example, if you have 95 hours of volunteer activity, you will receive ZERO points. If you have at least 100 but not 200 or more, you get half the points. Only those with more than 200 hours of volunteer time will receive the full 200 points. Similarly, a club leadership position other than president or vice-president is ignored and you need two such club leadership positions to be assigned full points. </p>

<p>UCSD is known to discuss your point assignments and the actual cutoff value if you call them after receiving a rejection. They will patiently explain how they evaluated each factor, the points you were given, and then tell you the cutoff for the major to which you applied. This is quite helpful for appeals if you find that you are qualified for additional points in one or more categories but the facts weren’t clear to the admissions committee. However, you can’t find out ahead of decisons and they don’t bother telling accepted students what score they achieved. </p>

<p>The estimate is a general one for a major like English. The actual cutoff varies and would be higher for impacted majors. If you are significantly above the cutoff, say by 250 points or more, you are likely to be accepted into the non-impacted majors (safety). If you are significantly below, admission is unlikely (reach).</p>

<p>The UCSD description of their formula and definition of each of the criteria.</p>

<p>Prospective</a> Students: UC San Diego Comprehensive Review Admission Process: Freshman Selection, Fall 2008</p>

<p>Scroll down to near the bottom of the web page</p>

<p>Here is an outside posting of the more detailed rubric for how they assign points.</p>

<p>UCSD</a> Freshman Comprehensive Review Process (Dec 2004)</p>

<p>What do these points mean? If you are above or meet the 7700 are you automatically in? or is 7700 the minimum requirement?</p>

<p>EDIT: Looks like thats the minimum, and how come it doesn't even factor in essays? I have 8100 cuz all the stuff past ELC is like non applicable. Great. hopefully bioengineering <em>crosses fingers</em></p>

<p>What if I took the ACT? I'm baffled as to how I would convert.</p>

<p>tc191, i thought UC's only accepted SATs</p>

<p>^^ nope they accept both.</p>

<p>tkd2009 - they ignore essays. Only UCLA and UCB read them as essays and look at the story and quality of writing.</p>

<p>For UCSD, the only use of the essay is to scan for the items in the list of factors. If you mentioned being from a single parent home, they would assign the relevant points. If you mentioned winning the state championship in something, they would assign relevant points. </p>

<p>If you wrote an essay that brought tears to everyones eyes, it means nothing to UCSD (and UCD, UCSB, UCSC, and all the others except UCLA and UCB). If you wrote a horrible, ungrammatical, unpleasant to read essay but it provided evidence for many of the extra points, you might just swing the decision to acceptance. It can't hurt or help except as a source of the factors they use in admissions.</p>

<p>I guess its a good and bad thing that they ignore essays.</p>

<p>does UCSD look at any other factors academically behind the scenes, such as competitiveness of high school or course load? b/c by that formula, well-off people need to get basically perfect scores just to barely get in</p>

<p>^umm, no. By that formula, people basically need to have ELC and ok SATs to get in.
Ok SATs = ~1900-2000 and 650+ for each subject.</p>

<p>My question is, What is a cutoff for like impacted majors most likely?</p>

<p>shiomi, could u please show how 1900-2000 SATI and 650 SATIIs add up to 7700? and ELC's only 300 on there</p>

<p>Yeah really. I dont have any of the extra things, and it took a 4.1 GPA and 2210 SATs + 800 math + 740 bio to hit around 7700 points >.></p>

<p>If you're poor, from a bad neighborhood with a "crappy" school, and your dad died, you get a free 1400 points :&lt;/p>

<p>A standard ELC applicant will have ~4.1 GPA.
4100+(2000+650+700).8+500+150+300
GPA+Test Scores+A-G 40 courses+100+ volunteer hours+ELC</p>

<p>This is also an example of a standard UCSD applicant.
And these are pretty lenient ass scores, especially for the subjects and most people should be able to get 500 from the A-Gs.
4100+2680+500+150+300=7730
Perfect test scores needed?...Far from it and if you look at the averages for UCSD, a 1950 is the average reasoning score. As well as the subjects being around 650-700 average.
Plus the fact that UCSD accepts 90% of ELC.</p>

<p>i think i see where the difference is...r u sure that we automatically get the full 500 pts for having 40+ A-G courses? it's not like 50 x # of courses above 40?</p>

<p>Yeah..I'm pretty sure.
UCSD accepts 90% of ELC applicants..
and I most of that 90% do NOT have perfect test scores, far from it.</p>

<p>You guys have it wrong. You don't get admitted by your major, you get admitted to the school first than you get sorted by your major.</p>

<p>So does anyone know the cutoff for impacted majors like bioengineering, computer engineering, and comp sci? </p>

<p>I have 8600 points and maybe 500 more if they count my broken wrist injury in which I had to have numerous surgeries and is still not fixed.</p>

<p>There was a new policy with impacted majors tho just to let you all know. </p>

<p>They made the entire division of biology impacted which notes that the DoB also will conduct its own admission process for students that applied under bio majors.</p>

<p>I also would NOT rely on estimating your admissions... They still have the right to cut off whoever they want depending on the # of apps and # of spots.... Thats why the point system isn't completely accurate. Not to mention when kids rate their own points they tend to give themselves more points when estimating than UCSD actually gives them.</p>

<p>the point system doesnt seem uber fair to me, because its a lot harder to get a 4.4 x 1000 than a 4.2 and 200 hours of community service</p>