ETAM Process at A&M

Any parents who have junior engineering students who can reassure me that this chaotic registration for their 1st semester in their engineering major work out? My son is an auto admit into Aero, had to drop all his classes and add a completely new schedule on August 2nd with absolutely no guidance. He had a hold on registration because his summer school class was not posted on his transcripts, even though he sent for it. That was fixed. When he tried to register, every physics session he could work in his schedule was full. He is now not receiving his financial aide because he is currently locked out of an Aero class. It states he does not have the requirements ( he does). He is now on a push list for the class. But until they fix it, he does not full fill his credit requirements. This has been a total mess. Not feeling this process at all!

My son is a BMEN junior. His advisor put him in his bmen classes after etam (he was an autoadmit as well). Registration was extremely stressful for my son his freshman year but for him the registrations since then have been a piece of cake. I think his last one took a minute. Typed all the classes in he wanted and that was it. It does get better. Is your son in honors?

Thanks. He is not in honors, but is thinking about applying. With his GPA, they did let register for honor physics which helped with his schedule. He is hoping to get pushed in the second aero class. He’s on some sort of list, he says. It’s funny because he was an auto admit so why does he need to be on a list for this aero class?

I’m a senior at Texas A&M, CEEN.

I was locked out of an ECEN course I needed to meet my senior design criteria the following semester. This was due to ETAM never successfully submitting my Differential Equations credit into the system (so I had to watch helplessly as everyone filled the slots and I was locked out)

If this is similar to your problem, your son needs to meet with his department (AERO if it’s an aero issue and PHYS if it’s a physics issue). The departments are VERY slow at resolving any issue unless you put pressure on them. Especially when the semester is about to be open, they are more likely dealing with the person breathing down their neck than someone’s email sent a week ago.

EDIT: I should say though, for your added reassurance; that everything worked out. They tend to open extra slots or make additional classes if it is a course necessary for major-specific. More than likely there are more students than just your son trying to get into that course if all the slots are currently full 2 weeks before open registration → add/drop week begins.