ethnicity

<p>Hello, I was born in a Hispanic country but my entire family is Asian. I am soon going to apply for college, and I hear that ethnicity plays a big role in college admissions. Some of the schools I'm planning on applying to have a large Asian community and might so it might be more competitive to apply as an Asian; is it possible for me to apply as a person of Hispanic heritage? After all, I was born and raised in a Hispanic country.</p>

<p>Although you born/raised in a hispanic country, you are still asian. So applying as a hispanic wouldn’t make sense</p>

<p>It depends… if your family has lived there for many generations and considers themselves ‘hispanic country’, but of Asian descent, yes you could because Hispanic is not a race. If you were the only one born there and the culture is not a part of you, I would say no.</p>

<p>Just back from a spring break trip, interesting question.</p>

<p>Hispanics can be of any race, and that is why the CA separates these 2 questions. It is possible for a racially Asian person to be of Hispanic ethnicity, for instance, Alberto Fujimori, who was the president of Peru.</p>

<p>The question of ethnicity is completely determined by self-identification, so if you identify yourself with the Hispanic ethnicity of your country, then you can mark it down. Aside from just checking the box, I would also consider including other things that demonstrate your Hispanic identity in your application (eg. essay, ECs, etc.).</p>