Experience as a freshman guy?

<p>1) Please talk a little bit about life at the U (specifically the social aspect), coming in as a freshman guy. I have heard that it is easier for girls to find a home socially than for guys first year as girls are let into parties regardless, while being a guy, you need to know someone. </p>

<p>2) If anyone is a business major I'd also love to hear about how the introductory classes are (professors, workload etc.).</p>

<p>3) How are the football games/athletic events? Do many people get involved in intermural sports? (something I enjoy alot)</p>

<p>4) Did you find it easy to meet people at the U?</p>

<p>And anything else you feel is important to share with a prospective student. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>I’m a freshman guy and to be honest, we don’t get into anything. We are treated rather poorly. For girls, freshman year is awesome. Not for guys. Everyone plays intramural sports, but the football games suck. We can’t fill half the stadium. It’s very easy to meet people here at first, then gets hard later on.</p>

<p>I would agree with the post above me. As a freshman guy, you’re pretty much wearing a scarlet letter. Unless you have “connections,” your social life will pale in comparison to a friend who chose to go to a state school.</p>

<p>The business school here is an absolute joke. Do yourself a service and don’t major in that school. The intro classes teach you about “leadership” but ironically assign group projects with students that are impossible to deal with at times. Though, the excel (CIS) intro class is very helpful and useful for internships. </p>

<p>Very few people attend the games. Our team has been exciting recently – this, however, means very little as far as attendance is concerned, barring the FSU game. If you’re in a fraternity, tailgates are rowdy and a great time. Intramural sports is huge here (greek life, etc). I wouldn’t go so far as to you meet people through it, though. </p>

<p>The onus is on you to meet people in college, period. Whether it’s on your floor, through clubs or greek-life, be aggressive and open to all people. </p>

<p>Hey guys. I’m currently a freshman guy at UM too. To answer your questions:</p>

<p>1) I wouldn’t say that it is easier for girls to “find a home socially” compared to guys. My floor is really close and we are regularly doing things together like going out or just going to eat at the dining hall. As far as parties, yes, it helps a lot to know someone if you’re trying to get in, and if you don’t know someone or have a good amount of girls with you then you probably won’t be let in. I can’t speak about other schools but this is something that most freshman guys at UM just have to live with. But not all frat parties are like that. That being said, going to Coconut Grove can be a decent substitute for frat/house parties, especially if you’re okay with the bar-like scene. </p>

<p>2) I’m not a business major, but will eventually be minoring through the school of business administration. From what I’ve heard, the professors are so-so. I do know of some people who have made some pretty close friends with people because they both were in the business school, though. </p>

<p>3) Football games have been my favorite times at UM so far. They are what you make of them. I’ve found a group of people, that I now regularly sit with, who make sure they get into the game relatively early so they get good seats. We always tailgate before the game and always stay for the whole game. I’ve only been to a few athletic events outside of the football games. There are obviously less people at the things like volleyball and basketball, but again if you meet people who are as interested in going to these things as you are, then you’re bound to have a good time. And even if you don’t really know anyone, you can bond with random people over your love for the school. Personally, I’m not involved in any intramurals but it’s fairly easy to join/make a team and it looks like everyone who’s participating has a good time. It seems like every night of the week there are different games being played on the intramural fields.</p>

<p>4) At first, I felt kind of lonesome, but I know I wasn’t the only one. I think no matter where you go, Orientation will have it’s awkward moments. After all, you’re throwing together thousands of 17-18 year olds who have never met and telling them that they’re going to be with each other for four years and you’re actually living with some of them. The first week (orientation) was kind of rough, but once classes started, you get into sort of a routine and have more to talk about with the people you regularly see. Word of advice (it might sound cliche): put yourself out there. No one wants to have a one-sided conversation. In order to meet people you have to actually ACT like you want to meet or hang out with them. A good way to meet people (and how I’ve met a lot of my close friends) is to get involved. So far, I’ve met a lot of amazing people. I feel like I’ve known them forever but it’s actually only been about two and a half months. </p>

<p>Last word of advice: Forums like this can be really helpful but can also do some harm in my opinion. While it can be good to see how you stack up, don’t get too caught up in the “chancing” or what other people’s stats may be. Focus on doing the best for yourself. </p>

<p>I’m having the time of my life at UM!</p>

<p>Hey @Hurricane19 I have a couple questions. Would you mind if I pm’ed you? </p>

<p>@TotallyTrudy‌ go ahead</p>