Social Life

<p>Hi I'm a male high school senior from Boston and will be at UM next year. I just wanted to get somebody's opinion on the social life at UM. While I like to go to parties and drink, and am very social, I really don't see myself going to South Beach dance clubs consistently. Will I be fine at UM? I talked to a freshman who went to my high school and he said everybody fits in and clubbin' isn't necessary. He's a very down to earth kid so I trust him I just wanted somebody else's opinion, cause I love everything about the school, there's just that one unknown. Thanks.</p>

<p>Thursday nights it’s popular to go to Coconut Grove and the rest of the weekend consisits of frat parties, house parties or South Beach for most of the UM students. My son, who went there for 2 1/2 years wasn’t into the clubbing scene when he first arrived but soon realized that was where the majority of social life existed. There are other things to do, they are just not as popular. Most of the social scene takes place off campus.</p>

<p>Ok cool. Frat and house parties I’m good with its literally just that I’m not into dance clubs and techno music haha. So judging by what you said I think I should be good. Thanks</p>

<p>I wouldn’t say the majority of the partying is clubbing. I’m a senior and haven’t been to a club since September of my freshman year and I still go out every weekend and party. I’m a bar person, so I spend a lot of time in the Grove. And there are always tons of house parties, which is what most of the freshmen and sophomores do.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot MiamiCane. That sounds great for me and you just settled my only concern. Now I’m beyond pumped for August to come!</p>

<p>Be warned abguitar: all social life is off campus. you will most likely need to take a cab everywhere and the costs pile up.</p>

<p>Also for bars you need a fake ID. i would get someone else’s real 21 ID but thats just my opinion. sometimes bars are 18+… Also bars/clubs get really expensive.</p>

<p>House parties are fun. frats are fun. but you should join a frat if you actually do want to do the whole frat party thing. </p>

<p>I’m not saying whether the whole “off campus” thing is bad or not. it just is.</p>

<p>Just an FYI.</p>

<p>We were told at orientation that getting caught with a fake ID in Florida is a FELONY. </p>

<p>Think long and hard before risking having a felony conviction on your record. It will follow you for the rest of your life.</p>

<p>^^^^Take heed. Fake IDs are not the way to go!!!</p>

<p>Eh, pretty much everyone I know had a fake ID and I don’t know anyone who got into any legal trouble. Just don’t be stupid and you’ll be fine. It is kind of a necessity in Miami if you want to go out. Plus, if you get someone else’s real one, it’s not a felony, just a misdemeanor. ha.</p>

<p>abguitar, I’m going to be a freshman at UM next year as well. A bunch of other people have said their only concern is that UM is the club thing, but then they learn it’s not true. I definitely am not a club girl, I like house parties and just hanging at bars more. My brother goes to UM and he has never been to a club, so it isn’t that big of an issue there. I think its more of a stereotype. Oh and Lilymoon hates the U so most of their posts will be casting it in a negative light. Just sayin’.</p>

<p>And unfortunately fake IDs are sort of necessary :/</p>

<p>yeah dont get a fake ID. if you’re gonna do that at least get a real ID from a friend who’s 21. (I am not condoning this, just saying one is the lesser of 2 evils)</p>

<p>Its Miami, I’m sure whatever parties youre into you can find. And South Beach clubs are really expensive btw.</p>

<p>yeah i’m in a similar situation. I wanna party but don’t wanna risk it with a fake ID. it worries me that i keep hearing that a lot of people have them and are “neccessary”</p>

<p>they arent necessary…but monday-thursday there are no frat or house parties unless your friend is having one in his apartment or house.</p>

<p>so tues/thurs are big nights to go to the bars at Coconut Grove. There is usually one or two bars that have 18+, but you can’t buy alcohol there unless you have an ID you just can go in and get someone else to buy you alcohol</p>

<p>fridays and saturdays you will most likely be able to find a frat/house party where an ID is not necessary to drink…</p>

<p>yeah guys don’t get fake ID’s. My brother went to NYU and got a fake ID. He also got arrested and spent the night in jail.</p>

<p>Since people around here say that all the partying takes place off-campus, is it advisable to buy a car? If so, in freshmen year or sophomore?</p>

<p>Freshman aren’t allowed to keep cars on campus, and the University offers a shuttle directly to the Grove.</p>

<p>Freshmen are allowed to bring cars as long as they find a place to park their cars…which they can in several lots on the edge of campus although it might be a bit pricey.</p>

<p>I do recommend bringing a car…I really wish I had one as a freshman now and in Miami you do need a car to go to restaurants, concerts, beaches, etc.</p>

<p>The grove shuttle only runs for a limited time (9pm-2am) thurs/friday (no one goes there Saturday)
And it really limits your options…personally</p>

<p>My DS is a freshman and is so glad not to have to deal with a car! He will be living on campus next year and says he has no need for one. Just a hassle, he thinks. Anyway, everything one needs is on or near campus or a metro ride away. Or you can get a zip car and split the cost with friends if you did have to drive somewhere.</p>