Expressing "demonstrated interest", emailing admissions officer

Hello experts.

7 Colleges from my son’s college list are tracking “demonstrated interest”. I want him to email his regional officer and ask a question or two while expressing his interest. He is interested in mechanical engineering.
What would you ask?

Pretty much all specifics about college value, requirements, AP credits, co-ops, majors, can be found online. Asking about clubs, atmosphere, or anything from the following list seems way to broad/generic and just a waste of time for the officer.

• How does your college help students secure employment?
  • Where do graduates continue their education?
  • How does your college differ from other comparable colleges?
    *Would it be possible for me to start my own student organization?
    *What type of support is offered for freshmen?
    *What do students enjoy most about this college?

These are real suggestions from a few online articles. Seriously?

I hope for insightful, cohesive, unique, smart questions.
Something hard to find on the college website.
Too go overly detailed about a program or subject is tricky since there are 7 colleges, and he’s not quite sure what specifically he wants.

Thank you and appreciate your help.

IMO, you’re asking the wrong question. But my answer to your question is “None of the above.” Any question asked needs to feel organic and sincere. A question plucked off a website is neither; it simply demonstrates the prevalent (and misguided) idea that one should approach college admissions as one would tick off a checklist.

I would sign up for mailings, follow their Instagram, take an in-person or virtual tour, or just about anything else rather than emailing a question that’s obviously forced.

17 Likes

My view: only write if you really have a question that you couldn’t find the answer to. Ask a generic question and they’ll see it for what it is - merely an attempt to show interest. Ask something that can easily be found on their website and they’ll your student as lacking the resourcefulness or drive to research answers.

I also believe (maybe others can validate) that at many colleges the regional officers don’t have a whole lot of influence on final decision making.

3 Likes

I would first have your son research if the college rep from those schools will be on your area - presenting at his HS or a larger presentation at a public library or other venue. They may have Zoom presentations open for sign up too.

This can usually be found on each schools website - if they will be in the area - attend and send a thank you email to the rep after the presentation and any legitimate questions that may not have not been answered. If he doesn’t have a question - a thank you and reiterating his interest is perfect.

If he can’t find visit info on the website, he could email the rep for his region asking if the rep may be coming or if the rep will be holding info sessions for students unable to visit in person (or in addition too).

1 Like

Do not ask questions for info that can be found on their website. Do not ask a college to compare themselves to others.

Many schools that track interest are watching to see if you signed up for their email list, open their emails, click through links, etc. And, as was mentioned, attending in person events at your high school or when the college is on the road is important. Following up with a thank you/it was nice to meet you email doesn’t hurt.

Some pay attention to your interaction on their social media page. Many college admission social media pages follow other college admission social media pages so it is easy to see what other schools students are interested in based on who they are following.

2 Likes

Done, done, and done. And not emailing is an option, but I hope that this community could give me a smart example of a question to start communication with the officer that could possibly decide the future of my child.

Thank you. Attended and following social media already.

1 Like

If he attended an in person event, he might send a thank you/it was nice to meet you email and add some detail about the event (ex. that he enjoyed learning about xyz). He could even add something like, “Attending this event solidified my interest in ________ University” and a statement that he will be applying this fall (as opposed to another year).

1 Like

Done. We have only attended 3 out of 7 in person. And watched virtually the rest. And part of the emailing a question will be a positive feedback on the virtual session as well.
Thank you.

Most colleges have a “Why us?” question on their application. In that essay, he can reference what he learned from either the in-person or virtual info sessions.

1 Like

Can someone please please provide the NPR link that interviews the adcom from GA Tech (might be UGA) about parents and demonstrated interest. If nothing else, it will make everyone laugh out loud.

Bottom line…please let your son take the lead here. He can tune into online events, webinars, virtual events etc. Has he been for a visit?

Emailing the adcoms for no apparent real reason other than to appear to show demonstrated interest could be viewed as wasting the adcom’s time. Only email with actual questions you can’t find the answer to, or actually need an adcom to answer.

3 Likes

I’m not sure this exists. Adcoms field hundreds of questions from prospective applicants. Hundreds. Please don’t waste their time unless you need their input. These folks aren’t there to become your student’s BFF. They are there to provide necessary info to prospective students.

Here you go…listen to “The Old College Try”. It’s actually pretty funny.

It sounds like your student has demonstrated enough interest. Have him continue to open emails the school sends, click on links inside, and check his portal frequently after he submits his app. It’s tough to come up with a question that is only answerable by the AO and not in the website, or in the many virtual sessions he’s done.

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s “awesome”. very cool

I think - you needn’t go crazy. Open their emails. Click on a link. Run videos - even if you walk away.

If they have a session of interest (virtual), attend.

It was pointed out early - but if it’s on line, don’t ask.

They’re not going to be experts on career outcomes - and there will be a report for that.

You can ask some personal questions if they’re an alumna, but I wouldn’t unless you’ve previously chatted.

We would email on occasion - I don’t think it matters. And we attended a session at Rice on aid and admissions told me it wasn’t tracked - just their admissions presentations.

I don’t think going overboard matters - if it did, American would have given my daughter more. We were over the top. I think engaging with their communications or going in person is what matters - and truthfully, what they want is ED - that’s the ultimate expression of interest.

Your student is still a student - that’s most important. Sometimes you can feel the need to do too much. You don’t.

Good luck.

1 Like

How interesting. Direct question. Dozens of answers. Thank you to all who answered for your time and effort. Unfortunately not a single answer to the question.
We are doing most: email updates, tours and virtual tours, social media, opening emails, following links, reading articles, educating through websites, youtubes, and stuff.
Next step is writing email with genuine non-forced sounding smart question to admissions officers to colleges that track it. We won’t be the first or the last trying to get memorable and personal with important people. I’m sure you’ve done it.
Any suggestion on email question?

The message underlying all these responses is that your son should only write to the AO if he has a genuine question to ask that’s specific to his interests and situation. Only he/you can know what that is.

16 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

If you’re really interested in a school and have a visit planned and the AO is an alum, you can ask - what’s your favorite spot on campus - I’d love to check it out.

Or for any AO - we plan to eat nearby and see the surrounding areas - what’s your favorite lunch spot.

But again, it’s a bit over the top - those are better for an interview or discussion as a “fun” part near the end.

1 Like