Fairfield University vs Fordham University for Business

Hey everyone! I know this is super close to the deadline, but I’d really love any input because I’m super indecisive. I’m currently deciding between Fairfield U and Fordham U (Gabelli). I would be undecided at Fairfield and business at Fordham. Here are some pros and cons!

Fordham ($80K total debt)

PROS:

• more prestigious for business
  • closer to city for internships
  • bigger school
  • higher academics
  • has football/prettier

CONS

• higher debt even after scholarship (might want MBA after a few years of work)
  • I’m not really a city person and would be in the Bronx
  • won’t be top of class
  • Bad food

Fairfield ($25K total debt)

PROS

• near the beach/cute town
  • Honors program
  • less debt
  • easier to change major if I decide to
  • making a lot of improvements on school

CONS

• less diversity
  • not as highly ranked
  • cliquey/not as academic
  • not as close to city
  • possibly less opportunities since it’s smaller?

Thanks all!

Internships are important, but debt is bad.

Fairfield has a well earned rep for lots of drinking–but what a nice place to celebrate. Fairfield is an interesting upscale community with easy access to the beach.

Tough call, but my recommendation leans toward Fordham Gabelli even though you expect to incur $55,000 more in debt.

I don’t know Fairfield but will just say although Fordham is in the Bronx the New York Botanical Garden is nearby and is a beautiful place to spend time. Wave Hill is another lovely garden in the Bronx. The Cloisters would be another peaceful place to walk around.

1 Like

If money were no object, I’d pick Fordham/Gabelli. Many reasons, but one example is a friend’s son who graduated just a few years ago. Did a summer internship with a Big 6 accounting firm and the firm offered him a job at the end of that summer, effective upon graduation. Now living happily in the city with some college buddies.

But money is an issue, and Fairfield is not chopped liver. It’s business department is well known because it’s a popular school for corporate types who live in the area’s NY suburbs to get an MBA. While it’s farther from Manhattan, Fairfield County itself is loaded with corporate headquarters (Xerox, Sikorsky, General Re, Pitney Bowes, etc) for internships and job connections. In addition, many people who live in the area commute into Manhattan daily, so that’s doable.

I live Fordham. My son, brother, and niece went there. But I don’t think it’s worth the extra debt.

There are going to be internships available to Fairfield students and there are corporate HQs in southern Connecticut.

Fordham will have the better reputation but Fairfield is $55K less. That’s a lot of clams to just pass up.

So you say Fairfield is easier to change majors if you choose to - but you are undecided. Are you thinking business (like Fordham) or you might end up in a liberal art (like poli sci)…so you aren’t sold on business and even at Fordham business might be a placeholder?

To me, even $5K or $10K is a lot of money but when we talk about college we get giddy at spending $20K or $50K a year - because it’s cheap relative to full price.

It’s still a ton of $$ - so $55K is nothing to sneeze at.

You also say you are not looking forward to the Bronx and Fairfield is cute.

Forget internships, etc. when you don’t even know what you want to do - and you’ll find them everywhere (yes, maybe not as compacted as NYC but you also don’t have the same level of competition). You have to spend 4 years at this institution - day after day after day.

Why go to a place you clearly don’t like - for rank (which is just a subjective opinion based on data whatever publication dreamed up) and perceived better job opportunities - don’t forget, you can only get one - so that there are ‘many’ is less important).

To me, for you based on your desires unless you know you want to be in business and it will be hard to get into at Fairfield and I don’t think that’s the case - to me Fairfield is a winner for you on a day to day basis. That you save big $$ is a bonus!!

Good luck.

My son is a junior in the business school at Fairfield. Business school has been highly ranked especially their graduate programs. Brand new state or the art business school is hard to beat anywhere. My son has no student debt so he is going to stay for a 5th year to get his Masters. Business students also get many internships and majority of business students are offered jobs before graduating. Very active alumni network and career center. 98% or students are employed or in grad school after graduation. Town is very safe so no worrying about heading into the wrong area or being out at night.

1 Like

Yep - here’s his pros for Fairfield:

PROS

• near the beach/cute town
  • Honors program
  • less debt
  • easier to change major if I decide to
  • making a lot of improvements on school

Here’s his cons for Fordham:

• higher debt even after scholarship (might want MBA after a few years of work)
  • I’m not really a city person and would be in the Bronx
  • won’t be top of class
  • Bad food

He answers it right there. Your follow through on outcomes and new buildings - I think the jury is unanimous on this one - Fairfield wins in all aspects.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you all so much! I ended up committing to Fairfield. I appreciate all the input.

2 Likes

Congrats to you - I hope it’s a fantastic four years. While I don’t know you, based on what you wrote, that seems the right choice.

Congratulations! Put in your reservations now for housing in the beach. :sunglasses:

Hi! We’re trying to make a decision where to accept and Fairfield is on the list for my daughter. How are you liking Fairfield so far? We noticed that reviews on dorms and food were subpar. Could you please share your experience in those areas as well? Thanks so much!