Fall 2013 or Spring 2014?

<p>I am an international student. I was admitted for the fall 2013 but due to certain reasons I have not been able to attend the university.</p>

<p>And now I have the option of deferring my admission to the spring or attending the a few days late, like 10-14 days late. The university says that deferring will be better because I'll have to cope with the course load , have to register for classes late, and have to deal with settling problems and all.</p>

<p>I really don't know what to do? Is deferring a better option? I've heard spring admits get less opportunities (internships and all) and certain other disadvantages.</p>

<p>What do you guys think ? Should I go for fall and put up with all of that? Or should I defer?</p>

<p>I would think it would be terribly difficult to catch up being 2 weeks late on all your classes.</p>

<p>Internships don’t start right away, most are junior/senior year. Take summer school courses to ‘catch up’ and you’ll be back on track. Someone who knows the system would have a difficult time with a 2 week absence, totally new - you’d really struggle, not a great way to start. Anxious to start? Try a CC( like Blinn) for a class that transfers.</p>

<p>Are spring admits at any disadvantage compared to the fall admits?</p>

<p>I know a spring admit very well and have been a fly on the wall for much of her enrollment process. There are only two disadvantages that she talks about, and it’s possible that neither will affect you since you were already accepted for the fall and just unable to start at that time.</p>

<p>On occasion, she thinks she has a little less of “the inside scoop” because she didn’t attend Fish Camp of any of the other orientation programs that most of the other students attended. It’s not a really big deal to her, but she has occasionally notices the difference.</p>

<p>And, spring admits generally have lower scholarship packages (or NO scholarship packages). In your case, I assume your scholarship package was already decided before you knew you’d be unable to attend in the fall. </p>

<p>So, basically, I can’t see any really big disadvantage to starting in the spring. Do you know anybody there? It might be helpful to get the lay of the land from a friend as you get yourself established. The young woman I know knew several people who were already enrolled and found them to be helpful resources as she was settling in.</p>

<p>I would think that starting 10-14 days late would be extremely difficult. Probably prohibitively difficult.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you, FutureAgg! :)</p>

<p>Thank you for your replies! I have deferred my admission and will be joining Tamu this spring. </p>

<p>Still a future agg i suppose ;p</p>

<p>And thank you SimpleLife your post really helped my decision.</p>

<p>Wise decision, good luck!!!</p>

<p>I’m so glad you found my post helpful, FutureAgg. I think you’re making a wise decision by enrolling in the spring. Incidentally, I also meant to say that the young woman I know who started in the spring was selected by one of her favorite professors for her first choice research project the following fall. She is still doing the same research and loving it. She belongs to and is active in three very active clubs and is a board member for one of them. In other words, she really hasn’t been held back in the slightest by her spring admission status. She is loving A&M. I’m pretty sure you will, too! All my best! :)</p>