Fantastic reception in Fort Worth

<p>NJ–I second those thanks!</p>

<p>I think it goes into effect March 6th, but don’t quote me on that.</p>

<p>"One thing we’ve learned from this entire college-app experience is that the PSAT is the most important test a kid can take. At least if the kid wants merit aid!! "</p>

<p>Couldn’t be more true! I never thought I would have a chance at being NMF so I didn’t prepare for the PSAT at all, and I’ve now learned my lesson…my score would have been high enough in most states, and I might have made it if I had taken it seriously. Looking at that list kills me – gotta love living in New Jersey! </p>

<p>NJBama, thanks a ton!</p>

<p>I owe you a drink, NJ :)</p>

<p>*One thing we’ve learned from this entire college-app experience is that the PSAT is the most important test a kid can take. At least if the kid wants merit aid!! *</p>

<p>It’s a lot more important than what people think it is. </p>

<p>Diane…where else is your son considering?</p>

<p>The reception in Austin was nice. My son has always dreamed of going to UT, but they offer no merit aid for NMF. We are going to visit Alabama next week.</p>

<p>The generous scholarships come entirely from UA alums and the school’s endowment. But the large increase in OOS students has enabled UA to raise faculty/staff salaries, and hire cream of the crop faculty in an academic buyer’s market, while other schools are cutting back, and freezing new hires. </p>

<p>Alabama is suffering from budget problems too, just not to the same degree as Cal, NY, Illinois, etc. The state has never been very generous to higher Ed in Alabama. Hopefully, that will change, but the AEA is very powerful, and has succeeded in making sure that higher ed faces the brunt of budget cuts. This is part of the reason for the intensity of the rivalry between UA and AU. </p>

<p>I do think UA, UAB, and AU have made progress in educating members of the legislature about the payoff from investing in higher ed. But there are still too many people in the state who think that both k-12 and higher ed are awash in taxpayer money and not responsible with it.</p>

<p>MikeW, after getting a 221 PSAT, he got himself a 1950 SAT–10 important points shy of the 1960 cutoff to remain in the competition. His guidance counselor called to see if they could appeal since his grades were sufficient, but the answer was no since he was withdrawn for a too low score.</p>

<p>* But there are still too many people in the state who think that both k-12 and higher ed are awash in taxpayer money and not responsible with it. *</p>

<p>I don’t know what the exact stat is, but Bama has put forth something along the line of…for every one dollar in tax payer money given to Bama, X dollars are returned back to the state in tax revenue.</p>

<p>Which means that investing tax dollars in Bama is a win/win. </p>

<p>On the other hand, the state is rather small in population to be supporting 4-5 major universities…Bama, Auburn, UAB (has med school), UAH, and USA (has med school)…PLUS 10 other state universities (UNA, Troy U, Montevallo, A&M, Auburn-M, Tuskeegee, Athens State, Jacksonville State, Alabama State U, U West Alabama). </p>

<p>The state has less than 5 million people. That’s a lot of state universities for a small state.</p>

<p>3kids, what a heartbreaker!! DS also did better on PSAT than on SAT I. For many kids, it’s just the reverse. In so many ways, the whole thing seems like a crap shoot.</p>

<p>Y’all did get full tuition from Bama, I’m assuming?</p>