Federal loans

<p>I read somewhere that federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans are awarded based on financial need BUT the college has the ultimate option of granting a loan or not. Does the university of Alabama generally give loans to students who have any need? If my S is on scholarship but still has to come up with room and board will they let him take a subsidized loan?</p>

<p>It’s not up to the school. If you have uncovered costs, then you can do an unsub loan up to $5500 for freshman year. The school can’t deny you that if you’re a citizen or green card.</p>

<p>So, if you have a tuition scholarship, but you still have room, board, books, fees, and personal expenses to pay for, then the student can borrow $5500 …and the parents can borrow the REST as a Plus Loan.</p>

<p>Remember that UA determines need via FAFSA. Any subsidized monies are based on that. Unsubsidized Stafford (subject to certain limits) and Parent Plus loans can be awarded to cover any gap and ones EFC up to the total cost of attendance as determined by the university.</p>

<p>Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to take out large amounts of loans for college, especially if you have less expensive options available. I seem to remember m2ck recommending only taking out loans up to the total Stafford loan limit. </p>

<p>It is also important to note that student loans cannot be discharged during bankruptcy. </p>

<p>Have you ran UA’s Net Price calculator? [Net</a> Price Calculator - Financial Aid - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://financialaid.ua.edu/net-price-calculator/]Net”>Net Price Calculator – Financial Aid | The University of Alabama) If not, I highly suggest that you do so.</p>