Financial aid and tuition flexibility??

<p>First of all, I will be so appreciated if anyone could help me for the two quesitions which may sound unsual, but they are so serious for me and my family.</p>

<li><p>After the FA package comes out, is it possible to ask the financial aid office to improve my FA?.. ( From what I knew and heard, it seemed impossible… but I hope anyone could give me some suggestions and facts)</p></li>
<li><p>Right now I live in Hawaii, but my family plan to move to Wisconsin if I choose to attend Uwisc. So I know the Instate tuition is way lower than outstate tuition. As the fact that our family live in wisconsin for the next year, can I get the Wisconsin ID for being a resident? and how long can I be the wisconsin’s resident? AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is, is it possible to get the in-state tuition for my sophomore year instead of the huge out-state tuition for being Wisconsin’s resident? </p></li>
</ol>

<p>All these questions are so important to my family/ since my EFC is 0 and the state university barely gave me 6350 grants, it is catastrophic for me to pay the out-state tuition for entire 4 years. </p>

<p>I would like to thank all of you who could help me a little on my questions.</p>

<p>If your family moves there and work full-time you should be able to get instate immediately or within one year.</p>

<p>"What if I or my parents or spouse recently moved to Wisconsin because of employment?</p>

<p>See Section (cm) of Wisconsin Statutes 36.27(2)</p>

<p>If you have moved to Wisconsin to engage in full-time employment, you and your spouse at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and dependents may be exempt from nonresident tuition in the University of Wisconsin System. </p>

<p>Section (cm) of Wisconsin Statutes 36.27(2) allows the following persons--and their spouses and dependents--to qualify for exemption from nonresident tuition immediately upon moving to Wisconsin, without having to wait a twelve month period to be eligible to be classified as a resident: </p>

<ol>
<li><p>Individuals who have been relocated to Wisconsin for employment purposes by their current employer and who remain continuously employed full-time by that employer;</p></li>
<li><p>Individuals who accepted their current full-time employment with a new employer before moving to Wisconsin and before filing an application for admission to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In addition, such individuals must have moved to Wisconsin for employment purposes and must have remained continuously employed full-time by that same employer since their arrival in order to continue to qualify under this section of the Statute.</p></li>
</ol>

<p><a href="http://www.registrar.wisc.edu/students/residence/index.php%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.registrar.wisc.edu/students/residence/index.php&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>barrons, you provided me amazing information!</p>

<p>And, do you know about Illinois State's statutes?
Because I am now choosing between UIUC and Uwisc. I would be so appreciated if you could explain more about Illinois.</p>

<p>JUst use the Google. All state schools have this on their website as it's a big deal to applicants. Most are similar to UW. Hard for a student by himself to change to instate--not too hard if parents move there AND work.</p>

<p>(From UIUC's website)
FAQ About In-State and Out-of-state Residency </p>

<p>1b. What do I, a dependent student, have to do to become an Illinois resident for tuition purposes? </p>

<p>It is assumed that a dependent student’s residency follows his/her parent’s. If a family moves to Illinois because of an employment opportunity for the family breadwinner, the dependent student is eligible for resident tuition at the start of the next academic term.</p>

<ol>
<li>If my parents move to Illinois, when can I become a resident?</li>
</ol>

<p>Whether a dependent or not, you become a resident at the beginning of the next term following your parents’ move to Illinois. Your parents must actually become domiciled, make their home, in the state of Illinois and may be asked to verify their residence. Your parents don’t need to be bona fide residents for a year.</p>

<p>University</a> of Illinois > University-Wide Student Programs > Residency FAQ</p>

<p>I found it. Thank you barrons</p>

<p>And Does "the dependent student is eligible for resident tuition at the start of the next academic term." mean I have to pay out-state tuition for the first year? OR .. OR next semester? Spring?!</p>

<p>That's worth a phone call. Hard to say from just reading it. I'd guess next semester you register.</p>

<p>Plan on OOS tuition for the coming semester/year- at least at UW. Before radically switching climates for your undergrad tuition your family should seriously consider all of the pros and cons. Note that you have already applied for admission so your parents would have to be with their current employer or the 12 months rule applies. Your parents need to consider the expenses of moving as well as the job market before deciding if it makes financial sense to move for 4 years of education. Income and property taxes, the cost of a winter wardrobe, moving costs... Most states will be tough in their rules interpretation.</p>