Financial Aid to Intls

<p>Does UW-M give out aid to intls?!</p>

<p>I am indian if that matters...</p>

<p>Sorry I am not sure about UWM. Please post your question at the UW-Milwaukee forum.... Just kidding but UWM generally refers to the other UW on the east side of Madison. </p>

<p>UW-Madison (or UW) only hands out some scholarship (~$500-$2000) for a few highly selective incoming freshmen. The gap is usually filled up by the local alum chapters. Contact the chapter at your country of residence. <a href="http://www.uwalumni.com/home/international/internationallist/internationallist.aspx%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.uwalumni.com/home/international/internationallist/internationallist.aspx&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>In addition, there are private lenders for intl students but almost all require a US person to co-sign a loan. Personally, I don't recommend this route unless you are pursuing certain programs like engineering, CS, pharmacy etc that offer good prospect of a US-based position post graduation.
During school year, intl students are allowed to work on campus and there are quite a few that pay more than minimum wage. During the summer time, I recommend pursuing an paid internship over traveling. For some programs, you should consider a co-op. After graduation, many use the 12-month optional practical training (OPT) to pursue a US-based position without needing a US employer to go through the hassle of securing a work permit (known as H1-B). So when consider UW, consider those "income" as part of your actual budget. </p>

<p>One other route many intl students pursue is studying local and then transfer to UW. Not only does cut down the cost significantly, it provides a much richer experience than the typical 9-month exchange program and a degree that reads UW-Madison, which to my best knowledge, is highly regarded in some countries. Talk directly to the "transfer coordinator" in your specific school and ask them a list of local colleges that have successfully sent their students to UW.</p>

<p>Hope this post helps as well as other prospective intl students.</p>