Freshman Backpacks

<p>Good to hear, just bought a Swiss yesterday. Now I am worried that it is not waterproof. You can buy what I think are these cool “duck covers” to put over any backpack in the rain but having a hard time convincing the kid.</p>

<p>I have been shopping for backpacks for days it seems. LL Bean make a backpack with a padded computer sleeve and a backpack made of weather resistant nylon but not a pack that combines both of those.</p>

<p>The duck covers mentioned above are made by Sea to Summit I(that’s one company - I’m sure there are others). Do our kids really need a cover like that? I do worry about my son’s laptop, especially when I read the post where it said the laptop was fried, but I don’t want to go overboard.</p>

<p>I used the backpack from the NMF scholarship my first semester but it was pretty bulky & heavy walking to classes, so I ended up switching to my Longchamp tote instead- so much lighter but still fits everything and it is waterproof too. Northface backpacks are really popular though as well!</p>

<p>We have been very pleased with the Mountain Hardware Enterprise backpacks and also with the REI Duck Back 20’s. The Mountain Hardware Enterprise has plenty of padding and is built for up to a 17" laptop and is very weather resistant; however, the Duck Backs are very useful and are a good investment at only $20. The REI brand comes in a small pouch which snaps securely onto the backpack straps for added convenience. A great place to find a deal on backpacks is Suny Sports online.</p>

<p>kaylynsmom - Got DS a Swiss last year and he likes how everything fits well (including the laptop). His favorite part (if you got a similar one) is how it opens with the laptop “flap”, so he doesn’t have to take the laptop out going through security. “unzip, lay flat, go through detector, zip up and off” he goes. Looks pretty new and he didn’t have any problems with weather. Although this is a kid who spent his whole high school years in shorts and an occasional sweatshirt, getting wet doesn’t faze him, he even did most (had to wait to pour concrete) of his Eagle project in rain.</p>

<p>Does anybody have any experience with an Under Armour backpack? I found what looks to be a good one for $50-$60.</p>

<p>SFHS2012grad - I used an Under Armour backpack for the first 2 years of high school. It held up very well, and never ripped or anything but towards the end of the second year it started looking like I dragged it behind my truck because all of the creases and pockets started fraying. The one I had was a little tight on space so I’m not too sure about using it for college. But if you aren’t worried about space then definitely go with that one.</p>

<p>bamagirls - I checked out the backpack cover you mentioned online, and while it gives the pouch dimensions, I didn’t see the dimensions of the backpack it would fit. D will be using her LLBean QuadPack from high school (19x12.5x7.25). Do you think the 20 would fit?</p>

<p>ImPreLawRTR - Thanks for the suggestion!</p>

<p>it will definitely fit, Beth’s mom. Those are roughly the dimensions of the Mountain Hardware packs we own (I measured them). The next size is huge…and as far as a review I read about it not fitting snuggly, it has a draw cord to customize how tightly you’d like it to fit:)</p>

<p>I highly recommend these covers. We searched high and low and none of the packs we saw were actually rainproof…only water resistant. There will be many times when students will find themselves walking in a downpour across campus.</p>

<p>^^ Thanks! Off to buy one!</p>

<p>Bumping for the 2013 buying frenzy.</p>

<p>Any updates or recommendations would be appreciated. </p>

<p>What are the girls carrying this year???</p>

<p>^Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, and North Face are the ones I see most.</p>

<p>Kinnucans, Expeditions, and The Shirt Shop in Tuscaloosa usually have a great selection. Also check REI or Suny Sports (online).</p>

<p>For the more technically inclined and those who always seem to suffer from a dead battery in their electronics:</p>

<p>[Powerbag</a> | Backpacks](<a href=“http://www.mypowerbag.com/backpacks.html]Powerbag”>http://www.mypowerbag.com/backpacks.html)</p>

<p>NERVERWET: Amazing new spray product that keeps anything from never getting wet…liquids roll off and never touch it!</p>

<p>[NeverWet:</a> What Kind of Strange, Sick and Wonderful Water-Repelling Voodoo Is This?! | TIME.com](<a href=“http://techland.time.com/2013/06/24/neverwet-what-kind-of-strange-sick-and-wonderful-water-repelling-voodoo-is-this/]NeverWet:”>NeverWet: What Kind of Strange, Sick and Wonderful Water-Repelling Voodoo Is This?! | TIME.com)</p>

<p>I can update that the backpack cover = NO-GO from my S. He refused to use (can’t blame him - how silly of me to think he would). He actually did not find the rain an issue with keeping things dry. He used an umbrella and a rain coat.</p>

<p>@TXArchitect. I want some of that NeverWet stuff! That looks amazing - I’m picturing it on canvas shoes, backpacks, couches, heck - with a big dog and a 6’5" sloppy boy - I’d like to cover my house in that!</p>

<p>Starts selling in the next couple of weeks by Rustoleum… Expected to sell out immediately.</p>

<p>Thanks TXA, I will make that a high priority to purchase asap!</p>

<p>aeromom, thanks for the non use info on the cover. I can not see DD using one either. This girl does not even want a raincoat. I’m already waiting for the call that she wants one.</p>

<p>Anyone seeing the Texas “Jon Hart” brand at BAMA???</p>