Freshman Nursing

I had applied for UW-Madison’s freshman nursing guarantee around November. I know they were supposed to start giving out decisions around February, so I was curious - had anyone heard anything yet? If so, was it through an email, tracker, letter etc?

Also does anyone know how many approximate applicants there were and how many will be accepted in?
And how many are accepted in after their freshman year vs how many people apply?

Any information would be appreciated, thanks :slight_smile:

Only 20-25 direct admit applicants will be admitted. Notification is mid-February.

Chances are that no one who comes to this message board has heard yet since it is such a small number.

What is your GPA/ACT?

Wisconsin has a serious shortage of nurse educators, especially given the predicted shortage of nurses in the future. UW has a new incentive program to train more nurse educators so that they can then increase the number of nursing students. This will take some years to have an effect on the number of nursing students accepted into the programs.

None of this gives you info on acceptance times or numbers, but does help paint the overall picture.

http://www.news.wisc.edu/22569
Quote from the linked article: “In 2012-13, 50 to 80 percent of qualified undergraduate students who applied to nursing schools at four UW System institutions were denied admission primarily because there was not enough qualified nursing faculty to teach them.”

The direct entry program at UW-Madison is still fairly new. This is the 3rd year, I believe. That may be why the numbers are so small for that. Also, they are changing the direct admit admissions process each year, tweaking it. Most of the info they have posted pertains to next year’s process, which differs a bit from this year’s. If you applied by the the first priority deadline in early Nov. you may hear about UW admission at least, by end of January, not sure. You should call Nursing School and ask them all your questions.

http://www.son.wisc.edu/academics-admission-bs-uwmad-students.htm

The above links to info about admissions to the program later, once you are a UW student. About half of applicants are admitted, with avg university GPA of 3.55.