Freshman Research Initiative/Biology Major/Pre Med

My son got his invitation to the FRI program along with his admissions packet. It sounds like a great program, as it’s one of 4 in the country. Has anyone participated in this? He’ll be majoring in biology and then applying to med school. Is anyone traversing this path at Binghamton? Would appreciate any insights you have.

@researchingmom19 - my DD is in FRI and loves it. She is in the Neuroscience stream. She was originally a bio major and has since changed to neuroscience, with thoughts of Med school. She is doing research about OCD and is inspired by her work in the lab. She hs spoken several times about the importance of the research they are doing. She spends a lot of time in the lab but truly loves what she is doing. Feel free to PM if you have questions.

My child will be applying next year, she is very interested in this program. Would you mind sharing your kids stats? I am curious as to whether she even has a chance.

I am not sure of the stats they are looking at for a FRI invite, but just so you know many more kids are invited to FRI than scholars. FRI is also for STEM related majors. I can PM you DDs stats if you would like.

Would a 31 ACT and 95 GPA have a chance to be invited for FRI or scholars.