Freshman Year: Chaos ensues

But if I decided (for now) to apply only for MD programs, would it be okay to stay in the English major? /curious, also confused

Brain = confusion /wheezing

So… should I switch back to my combined major (Biology/English) or should I stay in English + premed track for now? What would be the best route to give me the best chances? /curious

For MD, you are fine to major in whatever you would like as long as the premed requirements are completed. And you can be an MD who has a research focus even if you don’t have a PhD.

3 Likes

So it’s fine if I do the MD route (to begin with) to do English on the premed track? /confused

1 Like

It is completely fine for MD to have any major. As mentioned before, the MD/PhD would be a different focus.

Okay, so I think I’ll stick with this current major then and focus on first getting to medical school before entering a PhD program after. /warmly, thank you for clarifying

1 Like

I think the concern is if you want to do a PhD after med school you would need a BS in the appropriate science in order to be a competitive candidate for a PhD program. But after medical school, if you want to be a practicing physician, I don’t know if that is a actually a viable route.

1 Like

Your best chance for what?

For a MD-only, your best bet is to major in a subject area that you like and will do well in so you can earn the highest grades possible WHILE still earning top grades in your med school pre-reqs. You will still need all the pre-med EC- leadership, clinical experience, physician shadowing, non-medical volunteering with vulnerable populations.

For a MD/PhD, you best course of action is to major in a biological science that is relevant to your future area of research interest. Genetics, molecular biology, cellular biology, biochemistry, biophysics, etc. You will need all the pre-med ECs list above plus long term, substantial hands on lab research experience. (Preferably in the same lab for 3-4 years so your PI can write you a strong LOR.)

IMO. the combined English/bio is an unnecessary distraction that will add zero to your eventual MD/PhD application. It’s twice the work which means you have twice as many chances to mess up your GPA and damage your admission chances.

8 Likes

How about an MD followed by a PhD sometime in the future after the MD is earned?

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking, too. /adding on

2 Likes

It’s really hard to go back to being an impoverished grad student at the bottom of the pecking order after being an attending physician. Especially after spending 7-15 years post college just getting to attending status.

While it may be possible to earn a PhD after med school, it may not be practical.

Med students graduate with an average of $250K in education debt just from med school. That debt is all unsubsidized loans so the interest keep accruing from the day the loan was disbursed until the day it was paid off. It’s gonna be tough to pay that $2000+/month loan payment on a grad student’s stipend. And putting the repayment on hold while in grad school will see the debt increase by tens of thousands of $$. Since academic medicine pays much worse than private medical practice, one could conceivably end up in debt for the rest of their life.

Also consider that in today’s academic marketplace it is almost impossible to get a junior faculty position without doing one or more post docs. Add another 2-3 years for each additional post doc. Post docs are not paid especially well either. (Just ask my SIL who remembers having to choose between paying his rent or buying groceries when he was a post doc at Cal Tech.)

Also by taking time away from the active practice of medicine, one’s clinical skills atrophy and become outdated/rusty. It will tough-to-impossible to find another job as a practicing physician if one takes 3-5 years off to earn a PhD. You might also have trouble maintaining a medical license if you’re not actually practicing. It depends on where you’re licensed. Every state has different rules.

Most likely scenario if one went back to earn a hard science PhD after a MD is that individual would end up in academia as a research scientist who might consult on patients, but would not actually treat/manage/see patients on a day-to-day basis.

3 Likes

OP, it’s still really early in your life. Maybe put this decision on hold until you have to pick courses for your second semester, or later.

Then check back in with an update on how you are enjoying (and how you are doing) in your classes, and also an update on how you are envisioning your future. I think the guidance you receive then will be more on point. And almost every college lets you change your major after you start , so there should be no worries there.

9 Likes

So what would you suggest, then, given my current major and all? Because changing it back to Biology (the major I was admitted for) would be annoying but possible. I’m just unsure of what to do with this. /curious

I would take a deep breath and focus on transitioning to college, making friends, joining clubs, and having a manageable schedule that sets you up for success.

11 Likes

Let’s be practical. You don’t need to make any life determining decision right now.

You’re signed up for courses that will allow you to go in several directions.

I would get through first semester then reassess your goals. You will have a better handle on how much time your classes will require and where your talents lie.

If after your first year of classes and a summer working in a research lab, you are 1000% sure you want a MD/PhD, the you can change your degree to bio as a sophomore.

15 Likes

I have a family member who is Md/PhD who entered medical school as just MD. Their undergraduate major was history, but worked in a well known lab in area of interest all four summers of college. Was able to gain admittance to md/PhD program after completing first year of medical school. Not the common pathway but it can happen.

For now, I would just focus on first semester. The rest can be planned later.

8 Likes

None of this affects your first semester. Chem with lab, french to fulfill lang req, freshman comp, and an easy non lab class, preferably that fulfills a gen ed. Dont declare a major yet, dont take an overview class. See how you do in chem.

You dont need to choose the decor for your future medical office before you start college. You dont need to choose md vs md phd yet. You dont need to choose a major yet. All you need to do is take those 4.5 classes to start, and do your best in them, then plan your next semester.

Can you continue basic science research?

7 Likes

We’re required to do the overview class unless we don’t declare a major, and honestly I’m perfectly happy with the English major. As for basic science research, I’m sure I can, I’ll reach out to my old contacts at the Broad and see if there’s something cooking up in the area. /thinking

1 Like

Brain had a thought- since I would want to do the MD/PhD program, do I have to do biology specifically or could it be any hard science that COS offers? Also I’ll end up switching my major probably in second semester since I’ll have a better grip on things then. /thoughtful

Smart to wait. But if this is the plan…do you have to take that course for English majors? Or can you just wait and see what major you actually choose…and take the course for that major when the time comes.

3 Likes