Freshman Year: Chaos ensues

I have a family member currently in an MD/PhD program and they went straight through directly from college. It seems what they did is definitely not the norm- almost every student took anywhere from 2-6 years after graduation before starting. A few began medical school a few years after graduation and applied to the PhD portion as a medical student.

***OP your job is to adjust to your new school. What I wrote should not matter to you at the age of 18.

2 Likes

I can ask and see but given the current major I’m in they’ll most likely ask me to take the ENG overview class. My cousin (who is a rising sophomore at NEU) changed her major and ended up doing the overview course for her prior major (when she was in it) and then took the overview class for her current major as well. She changed it in the middle of the year, but I’m sure I can ask her as well if there’s any wiggle room with the overview classes. Regardless of whether I take BNS (Behavioral Neuroscience), Biology, or another hard science, I’m going to try to focus on doing well in my upcoming classes so I’m well prepared for the courses to come and that way I’ve covered some classes for the Bio major (or whatever science major) already, having done it (hopefully) well. /thoughtful

2 Likes

For a PhD, your undergrad major should be related to what you want to research in your PhD.

PS. I think the conversation on this thread has gone hardcore stressful.

6 Likes

OP when do you officially declare a major? Sophomore year?

In the meantime can you keep your English major, see how your classes go, and then decide as a sophomore whether you are switching to a science major?

This is probably repetitive (I apologize) but at this point I am losing track.

It’s definitely stressful for me. I need to not be stressed out. /sighing

Yes too much stress. Worst case there’s an extra overview class but if English is the passion, why pull the student off to major in an area they are not as strong. The pre reqs aren’t a full major etc. majoring in bio is far beyond fulfilling pre reqs. The passion is English.

I think OP is fine to pursue her first semester path (with one less class of course).

1 Like

English is definitely the passion (along with medicine)! Even if I applied to med school without the dual degree program, I’d be more than happy. /adding on

EDIT: might end up being what I do and I could pivot to being an MD w/research focus.

2 Likes

The way to help reduce stress is to remind yourself that your job right now is to adjust to a new school. You need to focus on making friends, transitioning to a new life, etc. That is the only concern you need to have as you begin your first semester.

6 Likes

And then there’s the fact that I hyperfixate too much on my career/future, but I see the point. One day (or semester) at a time. Gonna stick to that. /sheepish

2 Likes

I understand 100% because I was like you. Trust me (and everybody) when we tell you to relax (I realize it’s not easy) because it will all work out.

Your career path does not have to be figured out today.

6 Likes

Yes, your focus right now should be so much lighter. Really, it is all good. Relax for the summer (I know you are studying, but you also need to find time to relax.) You can start planning your dorm supplies list, get excited about that! Orientation will be here before you know it and it will be so great. You should be excited for, and so proud about, your future.

6 Likes

I already had orientation about a week ago! It was a lot of fun, and I still have my mini Husky statue I got to take home. I already made an entire wishlist for my dorm (still adding a few things), and now it’s just focus on first semester + class prep. Most importantly, stupid excited to have my older cousin be at BU and do all of these milestones alongside me. /happily

2 Likes

I agree, and as I said earlier, I have same age child with similar interests. We aren’t stressing or even discussing backup plans or majors at this point. Just trying to get relatively light load for first semester with Chem 1 and other classes of interest.
Just my opinion, the long range planning conversations won’t have much meaning without a semester or two of college under her belt.

6 Likes

Okay, so after some discussion with my advisors, in the best summarized version I can describe, they want me to drop an English class and do something light (like art!!! or something chill) but I have to keep the 2 premed classes (Bio + Chem + respective labs) to start chipping away at medical school requirements. /thoughtful

also. I spoke to my folks about the MD/PhD thing and we kinda hashed out that I most likely wouldn’t be cut out for the MD/PhD program but I would do just as well being an MD with a research focus/specialization. sooo!! with that being said, i’m keeping my major. :3 /happy with my choice because I still get to be a doctor and change lives

3 Likes

Glad you spoke with your parents and advisors! Focus on the semester, not the MD piece.

What will you be taking in addition to bio, chemistry, plus 2 labs? This seems like a lot to me, but I am sure others will chime in.

1 Like

So the overview English class (not an issue for me at all), and the Intro to Lit Studies. Once I drop the FY-Writing Seminar (i’ll just push it to spring if I can, maybe we’ll have to drop Lit studies, either way, it’s fine)- they want me to take a “chill” class, like art/dance, something easy and fun. /thoughtful

It still seems like a lot but honestly it’ll be more doable in my eyes after dropping a class to take an easier one. /honest

2 Likes

The reason why I ask is because my daughter purposely scheduled her labs during a different semester than the actual class (note: what worked for her might not work for you).

In her school the labs were time consuming and quite an adjustment. The first time she handed in a lab report she called me crying because of all the comments and corrections. Her story had a happy ending and she got the grade she wanted and worked toward, but she did spend time attending office hours and learning the expectations for lab reports (quite different than HS).

I am not suggesting that you cannot handle it, but I do want your first semester to be a positive experience filled with making new friends etc.

2 Likes

will you still be at 16 or fewer units this way? /concernedly

1 Like

I appreciate the story and the advice! What I was told specifically was this-

“it is a good practice to take two courses toward your pre-medical requirements with two courses towards your major/degree requirements per term that you take classes.”

So I’d have BIOL 1107/1108, CHEM 1161/1162/1163, ENG 1000 (overview class), either ENG 1400 (lit class) or ENG 1111 (FY writing seminar), and I’d drop either/or, so it would be only one actual English class, plus the elective (art or theater, something like that.)

I think it would be alright, but I’ll definitely go ahead prior to the first day of class and ask what the expectations are for lab reports- I have to have certain things spelled out for me if it’s multi-step, so that’s good to keep in mind. /warmly, thoughtful

2 Likes

Even with dropping one of the English classes, doesn’t that put you back up to 19 units?