Freshman Year: Chaos ensues

Technically. But at least it would be an easy class, the course I’d use to replace it with. Even if I decided to not replace the dropped course, it would be, what…

does the math 15 credits? I think. Yeah. /thoughtful

If I dropped one English class + replaced it with art/theater/animation, it would be 19 credits but at least easier. /thoughtful, musing

Either way, it’d be better. (hopefully)

So you will be at 19 credits? What is the time commitment for your art class?

I got no clue, I haven’t changed anything on my schedule yet (my academic advisor won’t be free til next week since they’re away on break) so I don’t know, but I’m gonna try to see what class might work with my schedule. I’ll look for something 1-2x/week, but I’m not touching anything until I hear back from my academic advisor. /honest

1 Like

If you aren’t already aware of this site, you might want to check out ratemyprofessors.com to try to choose a class that people like and that isn’t supposed to be too much of a time commitment.

yup!!! i have it bookmarked and everything. i use it a ton!! /happily

1 Like

Also, you should be aware of Northeastern’s Academic calendar, which sets forth the dates to change a course to pass/fail (when allowed) and the dates to be able to drop a class without a W (Withdrawal) on your transcript and with a W on your transcript. My understanding is that Medical Schools don’t want to see W’s, but will let others comment on that . @WayOutWestMom

Here is the link to the academic calendar . You should filter by student type on the right(eg, Undergraduate).

It looks like first day of classes is 9/6, the last day to switch to P/F is 9/19 and the last day to withdraw without a W is 9/20. So that gives you basically the first two weeks to assess how the courseload is working for you and a window of opportunity to change your mind.

Academic Calendar - Office of the University Registrar at Northeastern University

It says on my student hub that-

“The deadline to drop from Full Term classes for the Fall 2023 Semester term is September 26, 2023. Drop from class by midnight ET to avoid a Withdrawal (W) grade on your academic transcript.”

So. That seems like it’s a bit later. I don’t think I’ll drop a class, but if i do, that deadline’s good to know. /warmly

EDIT: How do medical schools feel about P/F classes? Are they not exactly something I should take, or are they okay to do? /curious

My bad. I’m glad you get the extra week!

Me too. /grinning

What P/F class are you considering? Is it a class that is typically graded?

Well my English overview class is P/F in any case, so I was just wondering. /thoughtful

If the class gives a P/F to everybody then I would not worry.

2 Likes

Well, I’m still concerned about your taking 2 lab courses your first semester, as well as a total of 19 units, regardless of how “easy” some of them are. But your advisors seem pretty insistent on this.

I would definitely confirm with the disabilities office about any leeway you have for saying “no” to the recommended schedule, if you decide that’s the route you want to take. I would also ask about how the recommendations would change if you don’t plan on doing the typical in-semester co-ops, but instead choose to do research (at the Broad, perhaps) over the summer (which appears to be allowed, per NEU’s website on experiential learning requirements).

My guess is that the 19 units/2 labs per semester recommendation is to allow room for the co-ops and still graduate in 4 years. Some of that may not apply to you, and if that is true, it is probably worth exploring. /wishing it weren’t requiring so much effort and self-advocating

6 Likes

I would like to do a co-op, but then do research otherwise. I’ll speak to the DRC about the schedule too, and I’ll update you guys after I touchbase with advisors/parents/departments. /happily

4 Likes

Sounds good! And if your parents are willing to pay for a 9th semester, that can open things up for you too. Your advisors may not be aware of this (if it’s even true).

1 Like

What med schools don’t want to see is a pattern of withdrawals. A full slate of withdrawals for a single semester (unless there is a good explanation–like a serious injury or major family crisis) or repeated withdrawals from the same class or withdrawals from a class which is then taken at another school. (The latter two suggest professor-shopping to find the easiest A or trying to avoid a tough course at one’s home school. Repeated withdrawals from the same course is also indicator of high level of neuroticism–something else med school don’t want in applicants.)

Two or three scattered withdrawals here and there over the course of 4 years is NBD, though there are quite a few med schools that do ask a student to explain any withdrawals on their secondary app.

3 Likes

@MMRose.

RE: number of credits

Two sciences with labs plus 2 non-science class is the pretty standard course load for pre-meds.

NEU is gaming the system a bit here. Most colleges do not count recitation as a separate class and give an additional credit for it. This makes gen chem + lab + recitation =5 credits. At nearly any other college this would be a 4 credit class. Ditto for intro biology.

NEU counts recitation as a separate class and give it its own credit to increase the number of “classes with under 25 students” it offers because it’s one of the factors USNews looks at for its college rankings. It’s just one of several things NEU has done to rapidly climb in the rankings game.

8 Likes

Can we assume that taking two sciences and two labs your first semester is for students who intend to go straight to med school without a gap year?

2 Likes

That would not be my assumption. All the premeds we knew took bio and chem first semester, regardless of taking gap years later. Those gap years were used to do research, study for the MCAT, or get more clinical exposure.

Lots of majors require doubling up on lab classes starting first semester freshman year.

I have confidence that this student will be able to handle their first semester! They’ve talked to their advisor, their parents, and considered lots of input. NEU wants their students to succeed.

Best wishes OP! You’ve got this!

3 Likes

I am just asking out of curiosity because my daughter was premed and I do not recall her taking 2 labs her first semester. I may be wrong of course lol.

And yes, this student has a lot of support and guidance and is on his way to a successful first semester!

2 Likes