Furman University Early Decision/Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Ours has commited! Best of luck to everyone in their decisions! We’ll be at the April Furman Forward. Will be on Spring break during the late March date.

5 Likes

I am just curious, does anyone know when Duke scholarship interview invites will be released?

1 Like

Love the photo! Congratulations!

1 Like

Last year, Duke Scholarship interview invites were posted in the applicants’ portals on February 14 (no email was sent to alert the applicants). A Fed Ex package arrived two days later. Good luck!

4 Likes

Does anyone know what the dates will be for the Advantage Scholars summer retreat (retreat for Hollingsworth, Townes, Duke, Vaughn scholars)? The website says stay tuned for 2023 dates but just wondering if anyone has inside information.

Please post if you get one. We are anxiously awaiting also.

2 Likes

For those accepted, did you receive a hard copy acceptance letter in the mail? My son never received anything other than his portal update, so I’m curious.

Yes, a letter and a flag, and this week Financial Aid letter.

1 Like

Got the financial aid letter (same info as portal) today (Friday). Also got a box with some goodies (flag, water bottle) a few weeks ago.

Has anyone heard anything about the Duke Scholarship?

1 Like

I wonder if the thumbs up means someone has heard, or they second the question.

1 Like

Second the question; I’d use words if we had heard anything. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying!!

When I called the admissions staff said mid-February, but she also said next week, which is really not the middle; so I don’t know. We just sit and wait patiently😊

3 Likes

I was coming here to ask the same thing. I just looked in the portal and nada.

1 Like

I’m here looking for information as well. Crickets

2 Likes

My dd checked her portal tonight and the invite was there. Does anyone know how many are invited? It says there are 8 Duke scholarships.

3 Likes

Ohh cool! Congrats! I was hoping to have an invite as well, but nonetheless, I am grateful for what I have so far. I forgot how many are invited. I know it’s more than eight, but eight are chosen after the interview.
I did audition form the music scholarship, so maybe that could have caused me not to he considered for the duke as well😏

Do not hold me to this but two years ago I believe we were told they interviewed 20 kids. Then they offered 8 and had an unknown number of alternates.

Edit: My D was not invited for the James B Duke at Furman, but her bestie was and her mom gave me the above info.

2 Likes

S23 isn’t in the running for the most selective scholarships, and even with his merit offer, the COA will be something for us to consider carefully, but if he loves Furman (after finally seeing it soon) and ultimately says it’s where he feels he’d be most supported in being/becoming his best, I expect we’ll try to make it work. The weekend we visit Furman, we’ll also look closer at an OOS public where he’s accepted with merit. The two schools should be a real contrast, and DH and I are eager to see how S23 feels in each place (and what D25 thinks, too). DH and I went to a large flagship, and while we talked to S23 and D25 their whole lives about college, we never talked about/visited LACs. In hindsight, in addition to visiting Furman months back, we may have done well to visit Wofford and U South Carolina while touring SC/NC schools. I suspect S23 would have applied to both, and maybe not to a couple schools he was less interested in that he applied to anyway. … Regarding young men on FU’s campus, I’ve thought that even if all the S23s accepted on this thread chose to attend, they’d have a decent-sized guy group.

4 Likes