Future Applicants if interested... Read

<p>If you're an admissions freak like me, you might find this interesting. It gives good applicant numbers and admit rates for race.</p>

<p><a href="http://apa.wisc.edu/Projections/UWMadison_WI_Recruiting_Pool.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://apa.wisc.edu/Projections/UWMadison_WI_Recruiting_Pool.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I think the UW will continue to expand OOS recruiting and enrollment to the maximum allowed by law. They also will recruit more in MInn as they are exempt from the OOS limits of 25% of the class and there are many good students up there. It might get a little easier from instate but I think more of the best students are going to UW as other places get too expensive.</p>

<p>something is fishy about those stats. Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to this report 80% of students who graduate in the top 25% and get a 22 or higher ACT are accepted? BULL*****! My sister got a 31, was in the top 18% and got rejected. The average ACT score is 28. I know of nobody who got less than 24 and got in, unless it was on a sports scholarship.</p>

<p>Was your sister oos? If not, where in WI was she? The 'burbs of Milwaukee?</p>

<p>an ACT of 22 is pretty bad. is it that easy to get into?</p>

<p>"I think the UW will continue to expand OOS recruiting and enrollment to the maximum allowed by law. They also will recruit more in MInn as they are exempt from the OOS limits of 25% of the class and there are many good students up there. It might get a little easier from instate but I think more of the best students are going to UW as other places get too expensive."</p>

<p>You've hit the nail on the head -- for me at least. I could've gone to ASU and received a free education... but it would've been of terribly low quality and I didn't want to go there. I could've gone to UChicago, but it would've put me ~20k a year in debt. Same with UM-AA, except in my opinion, UW is better overall for more reasons than just the academic departments I'm interested in (and it's cheaper by like 15k a year too).</p>

<p>UW is a great bargain for the quality of education imo, and that's what drew me to it.</p>

<p>Unless you're a minority, there's 0% chance of getting into UW Madison with a 22. Like above stated, someone got a 31 and didn't get in.</p>

<p>With under a 24 and barely in the top 25% of class your odds are 20% to get in.</p>

<p>yeah, my sis was from the Milwaukee burbs.</p>

<p>still, am I reading this wrong? It seems to me the study contends, in various parts of the paper, that people who graduate in the top quarter of their HS class and get a 22 or better have an 82% chance of getting in.</p>

<p>Again, can someone tell me *** is going on here?</p>

<p>Here is the current admissions chart. I think that study is very dated. UW has many more applicants now.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_FreshmanExpectations.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_FreshmanExpectations.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>of course they want more from OOS and are going to push that, they get more money that way. also, there is no need to fuss too much over numbers and data charts...all of it is a crapshoot. i live in northern va and it's so common that people get into schools like William & Mary and UVA (some of the absolute hardest) and DON'T get into schools like JMU and V-tech. It's completely random. Wisconsin- Madison generally seems to prefer (over other things) a strong academic rigor and gpa. I hope I can get in...even though I will only have about a 3.2 or 3.3 unweighted...mainly because, the fcps grading system is one of the hardest in the state...plus ib and ap aghh. Just all the more reason to write the best essay of my life ;) Soo don't let these numbers get to you to the point where you just don't apply...anything is possible!</p>

<p>I believe a slight pref for out of state applicants is happening now (tied to $$$). I have seen and heard of many more marginal OOS people getting in than instate. They'll give much more slack on grades and class rank in the belief that bis suburban OOS schools are tougher than instate rural ones.</p>

<p>that's because they are.</p>

<p>I agree. But the state newspapers and politicos had some fun with it.</p>

<p>my question remains unanswered.</p>

<p>I guess your sister was not lucky. Maybe she didn't stand out that much in her ecs. But just because your sister didn't get accepted doesn't mean you should worry. If you are a strong applicant, you'll get in.</p>

<p>It is getting extrememly difficult to get into Madison. Having a ACT of 31 and great grades are not enough. I know personally of a girl that was ranked number two in her class, got into Stanford, had a legacy parent, and was waitlisted. I don't know what is going on with Madison, but I think the rankings have something to do with it.</p>

<p>"I know personally of a girl that was ranked number two in her class, got into Stanford, had a legacy parent, and was waitlisted. I don't know what is going on with Madison, but I think the rankings have something to do with it."</p>

<p>Wow, that makes me a lot more nervous!</p>

<p>Was she in-state or out?</p>

<p>She was out of state, but reciprocity-Minnesota. I hear the earlier you apply, the better...
She had everything in by December 1. (last year)</p>

<p>I turned in my app on January 15th and got accepted like 3 weeks later... URM status for the win.</p>