Future Badgers Advice

<p>I am a current student. As a freshman, Wisconsin has been an incredible experience so far. My expectations were high, and virtually every expectation has been exceeded in my short time in Madison. The professors are top notch, the support when you need assistance is incredible, the activities are outstanding. I am in a few clubs, and I participate in a few intramural sports. Until you experience a football game or basketball game, you can’t begin to describe it. The student section at the games is a huge party with tons of school spirit and pride. The dorms are dorms. Filled with some great people, the rooms are small, weekends are puke fests, and the food is actually pretty good. The walk to class can be long.</p>

<p>The one negative thing I heard about Wisconsin before attending was that getting into the classes you want can be difficult. So far, this has proved very accurate. Lower your expectations in this area. You can find classes, but probably not the classes you want to take, and certainly not at the times you want. I don’t mean just trying to avoid 8am classes, I mean so that you can fit it a 4 hour work shift. It’s not impossible, just difficult.
My advisor told me that 2 of the classes I needed/planned on taking never fill up in the spring semester. I had an early registration time because of AP credits, and both classes were not only full, but the wait lists were also full before I could register. I plan to keep watching to see if anything opens.</p>

<p>My advice for all of you planning to attend: Register for the earliest SOAR session possible, that’s when you schedule 1st semester classes. Have a long list of “potential classes”. Don’t go to SOAR with no idea of what classes you might want to take. Next: spring registration is based on the number of credits you have (AP, transfer, + first semester credits in process). While those of you with 24+ hours of AP credit coming in will get to register early, typically you’re competing with Juniors and Sophomores for courses you need because you’ve met most of the intro class requirements.</p>

<p>Don’t take my word for it, look at the current Spring Course List on the website and look at some “typical” classes, you’ll see many/most are either full (red box) or are waitlisted (yellow triangle). Hopefully others have had better luck. I can tell you the frustration level on my dorm floor is very high, so it’s not just me!</p>

<p>In my opinion, compared to friends at other schools, this is the weakest area of U of Wisconsin. In a perfect world, everyone would get the courses they want, at times that work, and from the University’s perspective, every spot in every class would be filled. Obviously, the world isn’t perfect.</p>

<p>I chose to post this because I think those of you planning on attending should be aware.
The timing of this post is a result of having just been thru Spring Semester registration earlier this week (Monday). This issue can be pretty demoralizing if you let it. Control what you can and cope with the rest.</p>

<p>Parent of another freshman at UW here – glad to hear you are enjoying Madison! From a parent’s perspective, some overlapping thoughts on registration. </p>

<p>For admitted students, do take advantage of early SOAR (freshman fall class registration and orientation) dates over the summer. While spots are held for students doing SOAR later in the summer, it is one less nagging worry if you go early. </p>

<p>Consider applying to Honors program. In addition to all the other opportunities in Honors, new this past registration cycle – and maybe this won’t be in effect next year – students could reserve a spot in their first choice FIG before SOAR (FIGs are First year Interest Groups – clusters of courses organized around a specific theme, with a seminar and then typically 1-2 larger classes. Students in a single FIG have all their classes together, creating a smaller group to socialize and study with). So, arriving at SOAR, my son knew he had a spot in his FIG, which counted for 12 fall credits, greatly simplifying fall registration. </p>

<p>Look at the big picture in terms of registration – what breadth/Quant A &B/Comp A &B requirements do you want to knock off in the first two years, rather than in a specific semester. Of course, some courses build on others, so you have to have the prerequisite to move on, but plenty of breadth etc requirements do not. If you don’t get into that ethnic studies class for spring freshman year, then maybe you can get another requirement done now and hold off on that for sophomore year. My student had a series of “favorites” saved in his course guide organized by requirement, what just sounds interesting etc. When he worried that he was getting closed out of a particular class, he could check and see what else met that requirement and monitor enrollment in that alternative. You can also create a mocked-up schedule of classes for all your semesters at UW, adding classes to your degree plan, to remind yourself that you want to take a specific class that, for instance, may only be offered in the fall. </p>

<p>From talking with my freshman, I know it was a stressful time. Going forward, this is the last time that this group of students is at the bottom of the pack, so it gets easier. </p>

<p>Hang in there, and good luck with the end of the term.</p>

<p>Fitting in a 4 hour work shift in the middle of the day will limit options. </p>

<p>HS students- study for and get good grades on your AP tests in the spring. Not only do AP credits help your class standing after your first semester but higher scores give you credit for specific UW courses.</p>

<p>No two students are alike- what works for someone else doesn’t have to be your choice. Classes, dorms, activities. Think outside the box- consider courses in fields you never heard of before college to meet your breadth requirements.</p>