General airline travel thread

https://www.cnn.com/travel/delta-ceo-bastian-skymiles-changes

1 Like

Yup…

Just saw that Alaska announced some sort of a status match for members of other airlines FF programs… looks like a jab at Delta.

2 Likes

Posts all over Facebook Pointing out the big stock drop (yes the market in general is down, but still- DAL saw their drop), loyal fliers are skeeved, people are cancelling their Amex branded cards , and their concern about the # of elite fliers will go away when those who were grandfathered in during COVID lose that rollover status in 2024

2 Likes

Alaska and I think it was United offered status matches, but some were only for
Like a few months, til the end of the year.

2 Likes

Good luck to those traveling during the government shutdown. Allow lots of time for long lines at TSA!

5 Likes

Yikes…TSA would be affected?

Absolutely. FAA and air traffic control? Maybe, too. It is going to be a cluster…

3 Likes

They are deemed essential, so they would continue working… but their pay would be delayed until after the shutdown ends. So it would not be surprising if there was a greater number of leaves and absences among TSA people if the shutdown takes longer to resolve.

5 Likes
1 Like

Many TSA agents are low-paid. Some actually can not afford to come to work ( gas, parking, daycare) unless they have cash coming in immediately. So last time a shutdown occurred, many did not come in-they call in sick or whatever, and either stay home or grab a short term job that brings immediate cash like uber eats.

No progress on avoiding the shutdown in the House. Suffice to say the TSA agents who did come to work last time were NOT in a good mood.

5 Likes

Add this to the mess…

2 Likes

Based on my experience, United is marginally better. But that’s just one person, and admittedly, I have access to a United hub whereas my American options are from non-hub airports.

My worst experiences (including United) were all at non-hub airports.

I will add that it either seems to go mostly perfectly or dreadfully wrong regardless of airline - resources are all so tightly scheduled that when one thing goes wrong, it cascades.

3 Likes

I didn’t even think of that. We have a kid flying here…Tuesday.

1 Like

We are flying this weekend. Don’t think it will really be all that different, TBH, as we’ve flown during shutdowns before and didn’t note a significant difference.
Now for those waiting for passports or wanting to get/renew their passport, I’d be more worried about that!!!

2 Likes

DD applied for passport renewal at the end of August…expedited. I hope she has gotten her new one!

1 Like

Just listened to a news bit on the potential impact at the airport. They said last time the “calling in sick” began after the shutdown became prolonged. Not immediately. They commented that a bigger concern than tsa lines was the delay in Completing the training of some of the 1500 air traffic controllers that have been hired. They did say that, at least here, the airport provides some assistance to affected employees

1 Like

And as for Delta’s planned SkyMiles changes, Ed Bastian is already backpedaling on that. Will see what happens. I happened to have to call AmEx this morning (about something else) and I asked how many calls they’d gotten and how many were cancelling cards. She said most of the complaining was about the access to the lounges.

3 Likes

Political posts belong in the Politics Forum

1 Like

All TSA employees were paid retroactively last time regardless of whether they came to work. Extensive leave banks help.

It took my son 14 weeks to get his expedited passport back.