General airline travel thread

Yes. It surprises me that an airport wouldn’t recognize be more tolerant in the post-security area. Travelers get stuck overnight through no fault of their own and have no desire to take up permanent residence there!

1 Like

This website can come in handy when overnighting/waiting a long time for a flight. It covers good sleeping areas within selected airports, lounges, airport hotels, tours etc:

4 Likes

Anyone know about the San Diego Airport. I know they close after a certain hour…and folks are expected to be OUT of the secure area…or at least that was the case when we were there. There used to even be gates that were drawn closed…

Is that still the case.

We have slept on the floor of BWI and Phili when flights arrived late and collections weren’t until the early morning. It was not fun!

1 Like

Hmmm, I have never slept in the airport yet and hope to be spared that experience. The times I’ve missed my flight or it was canceled, I was given a hotel room with free shuttle. Once we were stranded at Billings airport due to a blizzard and the car rental lady to take us down the hill from the airport to the hotel when she left of I would have joined the many who had to sleep at the airport. This was around 1980—dark ages. Airline gave us hotel vouchers but no way to get to the hotel!

Some airports actually close the concourses for cleaning over night. They just don’t have the security to allow people into closed places.

I was in Shanghai airport and our flight was cancelled. We had to leave. Luckily, we had a tour guide who took care of us. I had been sleeping in the airport because I hadn’t slept for 2 days, so just went where they told me to go. Our luggage was gone (don’t know where). We all went to a ‘non-western’ hotel where there was a lot of yelling between our guides and the staff and we got rooms.

The next morning a cockroach ran across the breakfast table and we were out of there.

Seems to be the same:

San Diego International Airport is open twenty-four hours a day; however, departures only occur without penalty between 6:30 a.m. and 11:30 p.m. With no departures overnight, the gate area is closed each night around 2am and all guests must exit to the pre-security side of the airport. Guests may re-populate the gate areas once the security checkpoints are opened (around 4:15am.)

That’s what I thought. We were on a flight that was very very delayed…and those security gates were…closed. An airport guard had to show us where to go to exit the gate area and he was on the other side. It was actually pretty amusing. Thank goodness we weren’t connecting elsewhere. But boy was it a challenge to get out of that area!

Anyone have any idea/theories/inside info as to whether Delta will revisit any of the recent scheduled changes to their skymiles program? They did make changes to their “no using the lounge on arrival” policy after getting a lot of blowback.

I was going to start a thread on this, but instead went to frequent flyer forums. Many people enraged that they’ll lose status, along with limiting/no club privileges. Very ugly. Delta is going towards the big spenders, so the only beneficiaries will likely be big Amex Delta card spenders and business traveler. And those who figure out a way around the system (me). I’m not so disappointed anymore now that I figured out how to game it.

We returned from Europe last weekend. Our Friday plane was canceled, and United, after a couple of just stupid recommendations (fly to San Francisco and then back to the east coast anyone?), found a reasonable return for us on Saturday. We may or may not qualify for a payment of up to 600 euros bc they canceled our flight (mechanical difficulty). I didn’t know this option existed until someone at the airport told us. The only “catch” in our scenario is that the tour company booked the air for us, so we are not sure we will qualify. I could use a little windfall of 1200 euros, but am not spending it until we hear from the airline.

1 Like

Please help!!

I didn’t think it mattered how your tickets were booked? Have you read this? It seems pretty thorough. TPG's guide to understanding EU261 flight compensation - The Points Guy

Older S (of course) clued us into these rules when he was studying abroad in 2019. Later that summer during our big family trip to Spain-France-Italy, he steered my parents to getting reimbursed for our cancelled tickets. Two separate flights involving 10 people got messed up! I know my mom was struggling with the process. It took a lot of time, but I THINK she eventually got her $$$. I believe the final hurdle was trying to get her local bank to accept the money transfer from a European bank.

Good luck!

5 Likes

I am worried that our fare may not be “available to the public.” I am guessing the tour company gets special rates with United, by contract, but I’m hoping it is covered.

Ah ok. I didn’t read it that closely obviously. But it would be worth it to try.

1 Like

Yep - I have filed my “complaint” with United, and checked to make sure they have everything they should need. I’m just not ready to spend the $s yet :). I tried asking the tour company, but they didn’t even understand my question, so I gave up after their first response.

1 Like

Crossing fingers!!!

1 Like

And, if the first answer is “No”, and you don’t mind another form, you can then fill out a report with the E.U. Ombudsman for air travel. There’s an online form/PDF, where you detail the rejected request and, if you are entitled, they will follow up with the air carrier.

4 Likes

general question— all things being equal, which is “better” (reliable, easy to work with, not lots of hidden fees, comfort, etc) - American or united?

Does anyone else miss the seatback map display that showed an enormous plane very slowly trekking to the destination?

The nose of the plane would be in Chicago, while the tail would be in New York City – that’s how not to scale it was. I remember wondering, “Where the heck are we?”

Then I would remark, as we passed a landmark,

“Look, that might be one of the Great Lakes over there!”
“Oh yeah? Which one?”
“Uh… I’m not sure. Based on the position of the plane on the map, it could be Ontatio, Erie, Huron, or Michigan.”

Whoa. Never knew about this! :moneybag::exploding_head: https://reserveps.com/pricing?mibextid=Zxz2cZ