General airline travel thread

We did get 5000 miles and $100 for the tray table issue (and maybe some sympathy points for the baby/toddler). I was already so upside down on time by then that I didn’t really care about lunch, so not having a tray table wasn’t really an problem.

I must say Global Entry gets better each time we use it. Our tight connection was even tighter with a delay out of Munich, but we breezed through customs in Chicago just in time to make the flight.

Some passengers on assigned seat airlines do not get seat assignments until they reach the gate. Probably because they are the late buyers without frequent flyer status and the first to get bumped if the flight is overbooked.

Yes, I realize that, but those passengers, like SW airlines passengers, know that when they purchase their ticket AND they have an assigned seat before they board the plane…no competition at the gate needed.

2 Likes

I flew SW on Wednesday. I had two choices to get to my destination…departing at 5:30 a.m. or departing at 10:35 a.m. These were the only departures to my destination with only one stop (Baltimore). My layover in Baltimore was 4 1/2 hours which was absolutely ridiculous. BWI has horrible outlet accessibility in the B concourse. Wifi is improved but not great. There are no generic lounges in the A or B concourses…only D which required exiting the secure are and going through security again. Plus it was a trek away.

I spent about two hours at the Silver Diner and had a great quiet table with an outlet.

I get to spend four hours there again on Tuesday when I fly home. Let’s just say, I’m not looking forward to this.

But the ticket only cost me about $50 round trip because of points.

1 Like

There was a really good Mexican restaurant in BWI (I think on concourse B but it might have been C). The food was good and reasonable for an airport bar/restaurant.

What I don’t like about BWI is I ALWAYS have to walk across the entire airport to change planes. ALWAYS. Reminds me of Detroit in a past life, always going from A to F or G (as far as it sounds).

I can easily lift a fair bit of weight over my head. Many older people, however, cannot lift what a younger person can. In fact, I cannot lift as much as I once could.

I have gone gray and often receive unsolicited offers of help. I’m always grateful, and hope that when I actually need to accept that help, those folks will be there as I expect to have the same reasons for not checking bags then as I have now.

6 Likes

I’m thinking that ‘rule’ might involve an ADA violation.

2 Likes

Not likely as most airlines will allow a gate check for free, so they are making a reasonable accommodation. (They just don’t make such as rule as it is bad optics; they’d much rather the feds mandate some baggage rules for all airlines.)

1 Like

Are you talking about not lifting your own luggage as an ADA violation? I don’t think ADA applies to airlines. The bathrooms are certainly not ADA compliant. Flight attendants and pilots don’t get accommodations as far as needing additional space.

Anyway, the flight attendants are not supposed to help you lift your suitcase. I know they do, but they aren’t supposed to. Once I was on a trip and cracked my head open. I had to get on a plane the next day and I was still dizzy and sore. I was put on a 747 and couldn’t lift my suitcase and asked for help and was told by the snippy flight attendant that he ‘just couldn’t help as it was against regulations’. Luckily, someone did help me. I wasn’t old and could normally have done it.

Airlines do not want flight attendants lifting passengers’ often-heavy bags and injuring themselves, which can result in the flight being cancelled due to insufficient flight attendants.

Many non-US airlines have small weight limits (usually something like 7-10kg) for carry-on bags, which may be to reduce the risk of flight attendant injury if they do assist someone putting the bag in the overhead bin.

It’s been years since I could put my bag up. One, I’m short, so I have to stand on the seat edge. Then, I had elbow surgery and had a back brace. Now, my wrist is in a cast

I’m tall but as I’ve aged I find I struggle occasionally to get my bag in or out of the overhead bin. Fortunately I’ve always found that someone nearby quickly volunteers to lend a hand without being asked. I can understand rules that might prohibit the FA’s from officially helping, but I think it would be a sad commentary on society if we aren’t willing to help each other out in such a minor way.

6 Likes

Oh no! Feel better

I have status with United so I always check my bag (priority) which is free. I am petite so I don’t bring a carryon that cannot fit under the seat. I fly quite often, direct nonstop as I want to be as stress free as possible.

1 Like

Exactly, my mom is not quite 4’10" tall and over 80 years old. She can’t even reach the overhead bin. Sure she could check her bag, but just recently she flew to my daughter’s wedding. It was a short trip so she could easily fit what she needed in a carryon bag. She did not want to check it b/c if her bag did not arrive, she would have nothing to wear to the wedding (and at her tiny size, not easy to find a replacement outfit that fits).

I’m glad that there was someone on her flight willing to help her get her bag in/out of the overhead bin. I always help people who look like they need assistance.

10 Likes

Some airlines have seats where the aisle seat has a bracket that appears to be intended to be used as a step to help shorter people reach the overhead bin. In this photo from Recaro, take a look on the right side of the seat row (left side from the point of view of someone sitting in the seat) to see the bracket.

I am willing, but the confines of an airplane aisle could mean that those able and willing to help may be blocked out by others standing in the aisle between them and the person who needs help.

2 Likes

Booked two cross-country RT tickets (IAD-SEA and SFO-IAD) for our 40th anniversary later this year. $750 total for both tickets!!

We were denied entrance to the Star Alliance lounge in Warsaw on our way home from S2’s wedding. H was pretty annoyed and called Customer Service after we got home asking for a voucher for each of us as compensation. A couple of weeks pass, and we each get an email with a code for $100 off a ticket.

Final cost for our tickets – $550!

Flew BWI-MCI two weeks ago for my aunt’s funeral. Non-stop both directions. Easy peasy. Was grateful, as I have a really hard time getting around these days. Am seriously considering requesting a wheelchair at the airport for the anniversary trip. Have a torn tendon in my foot that requires surgery and means I can’t be weight-bearing for six weeks. It’s not happening before the trip.

3 Likes

I always help people who seem to be struggling or obviously need help. Sometimes people help (or try to help) me, and I really don’t need it. It irritates me, because no matter what I look like, I’m pretty strong, and my bag is an ultralite, so I could do it with one hand. But I always act gracious and thankful, though I am thinking, “ Dude, you need my help more than I need yours”. :grin:

3 Likes

Recently flew on Virgin Atlantic (booked thru Delta, VA was the codeshare). We would definitely fly with VA again----we swear there was a bit more legroom than other carriers, they were generous with the food and snacks, and about an hour before landing, they gave us "mile-high tea: a little box with a small finger sandwich (crusts trimmed off , of course), a small pastry, and a scone with jam, butter, and clotted cream! Very cute.

And all this in coach.

Newer Airbus plane had Bluetooth with the entertainment system, so we could use our own ear buds.

The negative? Doesn’t have to do with VA, but at Heathrow, the gates are posted only one hour before flight time, then one could have up to a 20 minute walk to the gate–we left immediately after seeing the posted gate, and arrived in the middle of boarding–not much time to play with.

Another Heathrow negative: no rest rooms once you enter the gate area----WHAT???

1 Like

My husband gets as many bags down as he can while he’s up. Nobody has ever turned him down. It helps get us out of there much faster and keeps the aisles clear.

I know that flight attendants aren’t supposed to lift bags anymore but one of the best flights I took had a male attendant who just walked down the aisle grabbed bags, stowed them, closed bin doors and kept moving. We were all in our seats and ready to go SO fast! Think he got applause!

2 Likes