General airline travel thread

I’ve also found people super helpful with assisting on lifting a heavy carryon into the overhead bin. I also watch carefully when existing to see if anyone needs help (I mainly use an under-the-seat backpack now).

Like busdriver11 said - I want to be careful not to patronize those who can do it on their own, but am ready to jump in if something wobbles or looks difficult.

I think that when some people do the useful thing, it can spread to others.

I was on a flight recently (sitting midway) where (upon landing) the whole back section jumped into in the aisle to leave, not allowing those in the midsection to get out of their seats to go.

When I got into the aisle, I stopped the line so the midway people (trapped in their seats) could exit. I think there were a few sighs from those standing behind (oh well!).

I think sometimes people don’t know the etiquette or just need to have it demonstrated…?

3 Likes

Please don’t do this the next time someone in the back of the plane jumps up to run to catch their soon to depart connection. It is 99.(9)% not their fault that the connection was so tight.

All they would have to do is mention it and I’m sure most people would accommodate their need to cut the line. I’ve stepped aside for passengers in my row who have indicated that they have a tight connection. I remember the days when flight attendants would read off the list of connections and gate assignments as we were landing (and even step in to accommodate those with tight connections).

1 Like

I was once on a slightly delayed flight where the flight attendants asked that passengers not connecting to other flights wait until those connecting to other flights got off. There was no realistic way to enforce that, so it was not necessarily obvious whether that was being fully obeyed.

3 Likes

Most people are considerate enough to let those unfortunate folks get off first. I’ve been on flights with such announcements, and there were no complaints or chaos.

To those who say plan better… close to 100% this is generally NOT the person’s fault.

Think about it: the person trying to catch the next flight might be a poor college student, someone’s kid, trying to get home. :slight_smile: Be kind, please.

4 Likes

Oh I hear you Bunsen! However, this was like 25 relatively youngish people (not in same group). I feel like they saw someone else leap up and thought “oh this is what we do.”

The delay was a max of 30-45 seconds to let a row of people out.

I was on a connection through Nashville where they asked people to wait, but at least half the plane was connecting. Instead of my 50 minutes, I had 17. I was in the back,and people were helpful. I made it but my bags did not (despite assurances from the flight attendant that this 'happens all the time and we know how to move the luggage").

A senior friend who is able-bodied but highly nervous about strange airports will request a wheelchair if there is a connection. She won‘t have to worry about navigating in/between terminals, and on top of that, she might be driven in the golf-cart (rather than wheelchaired), helping with tight connections.

I‘m sure they KNOW how to - but the execution lacked. :wink:

1 Like

Trying to work through a skymiles issue with delta. I have screenshots of the discrepancy on their app ( they didnt credit one segment) but I am getting nowhere so far. Frustrating.

So 20 rows later your hour layover which got delayed to 30 min is now a 10-15 min sprint across the airport. Been there, done that. And yes, it turns into a big deal.
If I’ve nowhere to go I let people pass.

4 Likes

How dare the young :joy:

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend a wheelchair for a tight connection. Or a tight connection for a nervous passenger for that matter. The wheelchair passengers are last to get off the plane and that queue is surprisingly long. Most airports have gotten rid of the golf-cart transport because of liability issues. YMMV

2 Likes

Problem is, travel agencies (including the usual web ones) and airline web sites offer tight connections based on unrealistic minimum connection times, where a small delay on the inbound flight risks missing the connection, and many travelers are not knowledgeable enough about how much connection time they really should leave to avoid missing their connection.

Haha well I wasn’t trying to sound too superior with my “holdin up the line”'story. Maybe it’s just years of watching people leap to their feet and stand in the airplane aisle for 20 minutes while we all wait to exit. :joy: Their choice but don’t leave some non-pushy person sitting in their seat while you push yourselves ahead was my view! Lol

1 Like

Did you happen to use an e-credit? Apparently that’s a thing, they have been shorting people often.

At least we have non-stop flights for our Western trip! H’s response to my slow walking is to take all the other bags (for someone who travels frequently, he packs heavy) and leave me the small wheeled bag. It’s not the weight of the bag, it’s my @#$& right knee, left foot and lower back! I don’t think he’d be thrilled with me in a wheelchair. Between that and the TSA-mandated make out session, I slow down the process considerably.

Airports have smooth flat floors. You might be faster in a wheelchair (even pushing it yourself) than walking with the knee, foot, and back issues.

I traveled with my mom and used the wheelchair service. Have bills ready for tipping. She walked just fine, but was slow at 96! I appreciated walking faster with the wheelchair attendant between gates in a large airport like Denver, and then when at the gate we could wander a bit in the area. There are two kinds of wheelchair people, one requires a chair onto and off the plane, the other just a chair at the gate. If no one is at the gate with chair on arrival, taking off walking on your own is certainly an option. Getting through TSA was also smoothed. I also appreciated the mostly immigrant population who pushed the wheelchairs and hearing their stories. I can push wheelchairs just fine but was not allowed to push my mom for liability reasons.

Counting Down, I well know you are tough, but a wheelchair in a large airport can really ease the process.

On my most recent flight, a month ago, they enabled tight connections on arrival with an announcement prior to landing.

3 Likes

Given the size that some airports have become, getting around is a different thing than it used to be. And the people movers to address these can be tough to get on and off of for someone with mobility issues (and every now and then, they’re out of service.) It makes sense why someone might need a wheelchair!

Maybe consider a knee scoter?? It was great for getting around the airports and elsewhere when I had my broken ankle. Can you bend your knee?? Be sure to get a fleece cover for the knee pad (much more comfortable) and get a basket for the front. You can rent them- don’t have to buy one.

1 Like