Georgia Tech Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

DS rejected, OOS CS. my guess is GT wants OOS kids with strong academics but not strong in CS so they can stay in GT for 4 years paying OOS tuitions

His admission is to Computer and Info Technology in Purdue Polytechnic (Engineering Technology) than Purdue Engineering. Does that make a difference in terms of quality of education (or) career opportunities (or) does it really not matter?

Guess I’ll add another datapoint. Accepted OOS for CS. Asian male, 1550 SAT, 36 ACT superscore, 4.0 UW, good ECs in which some were CS-related with some awards, ok essay.

4 Likes

thank you so much! That would be so exciting to be classmates, the more friends the better!

1 Like

I was deferred earlier! surprised because I got in EA to Caltech

OOS- live in California
Applied for Neuroscience
1510 SAT
3.9 uw/4.5 w
12 AP’s
independent science research at home
science fair awards for county, district, state
science internship at nearby UC

Is Georgia Tech campus safe?

In general GT campus itself is safe. You still need stay alert especially after dark. There are some rough areas next to campus, avoid those areas.

My OOS son got accepted yesterday. We are planning to visit in March during spring break and also waiting for a few other RD schools. Is freshman housing guarantee? Do we need to put in deposit to secure a space just in case?

1 Like

It is reasonably safe. As someone who was at Tech in the 90s this question brings back memories. It was a different time then and not a great area in terms of crime. Very different from now.

The campus itself is very safe. There are over 2000 cameras and you can’t go anywhere without seeing a Georgia Tech policeman. Surrounding areas are very urban so use the same caution you would in any large metropolitan area.

1 Like

DS registered for an admitted student event in March. We are also looking for dorm applications and if there is a priority date we need to apply by. Heard the popular dorms gets filled up with EA1 admitted students.

1 Like

May I ask where in Texas? We are from Plano. My son got accepted into EE for both UT and Georgia Tech. Having non academic related activities is important to him. I am not familiar with Atlanta but there are many things to do (indoor/outdoor) in Austin. We are planning to visit and find out more about Georgia Tech and Atlanta. I am also curious about the ROI for instate UT vs OOS Georgia Tech.

1 Like

There is no guarantee for freshman housing but generally everyone that wants a dorm gets one. However, putting in a deposit and signing the housing contract gives you priority to choose your room. The time slot you are given is based on when deposit is made. So if you know you’re going to Tech, definitely deposit. If it’s a strong possibility and you don’t mind losing the commitment deposit but want the best chance of getting your choice of room also deposit.

5 Likes

Housing opened the 18th. Timeslot for dorm selection depends on when you pay the $80 application fee, sign the housing contract, and pay your commitment deposit to Tech. Must do all three to get in line. That being said, the most important thing is to figure out which side of campus you want to be on. East campus tends to be where the action is, closer to fraternities, across from the stadium, a little closer to the business school, etc. West campus has more green space, close to the CRC which is the gym, the band practice is over on West, etc. East campus tends to go a little faster.

4 Likes

Thanks for your valuable inputs, been following your posts for quite some time now.
While DS waits for the RD decisions, is there any drawback if we commit to Tech, pay the deposit and have to back out later in April?

Be careful when comparing ROI published numbers. Georgia Tech is one of the highest in the country, which makes sense since it only has 28 majors most of which are stem or business and high-paying. This inflates the ROI because it doesn’t have lower paying majors to drag it down.

I don’t know if there is somewhere that has ROI by major but that would be a valuable comparison.

2 Likes

Campus is generally safe and is big and has a very open feel to it. Very green and many areas you can sit out safely. Our kiddo has been on campus since Jan last year. As on campus in any city you have to be cautious. Housing felt safe to us.

1 Like

Very good point! Thank you!

You will just lose your commitment deposit ($250 I think) and housing application fee ($80). You also are not supposed to double deposit so if you decide to deposit elsewhere you need to let Georgia Tech know you won’t be coming.

3 Likes

As far as popular dorms getting filled up, the ones that are usually spoken about are Glenn and Towers on the east side. Some people have zero interest in living over there. They are renovated the most recently but honestly only slightly nicer than the rest of the dorms on that side of campus. My son lived in Hopkins for a summer program and in Towers for his freshman year both on East and Towers was marginally nicer.

2 Likes