Georgia Tech Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

@VirginiaBelle Thank you for all this information! Is the First Year experience or Living Learning communities popular among freshmen students? It seems they get a separate dorm.

I am trying to help my son locate admitted student events for GA Tech but not having luck on their website. Where should we be looking?

My son did an ROI calculation for CS based on public data he found on salaries and where graduates go. His ROI for UT was inflated vs Georgia Tech due to in state tuition and a first year tuition waiver for HS valedictorians in Texas. Cost of living is rising everywhere, including in Austin. However, this is a once in a lifetime experience and he is trying to find the college atmosphere that suits him the best versus having the best ROI. We plan to visit Georgia Tech soon!

5 Likes

The link to register is in the admission portal

http://application.gatech.edu/apply/status

1 Like

Thanks! Found it!

1 Like

I believe all the freshman dorms are first year experience. Definitely check that option, because when you get to roommate search it will pull up many more people. LLCs are assigned to a particular dorm so if you are accepted to an LLC you will have to live in a dorm with the other people in the LLC.

LLCs are a personal preference. It is a good way to find a group of people with similar interests. Finding your group is so important and will make a difference between a great year and a not great one. Georgia Tech has lots of other ways to get involved and meet people as well.

1 Like

We are in suburban north Houston. We hope to catch a quick flight to Atlanta for a Georgia Tech visit in February.

4 Likes

Two great options! My sons freshman roommate was in the same boat and ended up at Georgia Tech. Great kid and very happy with his choice. My son really liked Texas but decided not to apply because it required an entirely separate application and he was totally burned out😂.

My guess is mid town Atlanta and Austin are similar for cost of living. My son will be living off campus next year and we were shocked at his rent even though we knew it was going to be high!

1 Like

For us too the atmosphere was a high criteria. If your kid is interested in research, there is lot of opportunities. Good idea to research which threads in CS your kid is interested in.

1 Like

I like the flexibility of changing majors in GT. It is almost 0 chance for UT.

1 Like

The campus is very safe. There’s lots of activity and lots of police (who are very attentive to students’ needs. Almost all of the dorms are on campus, as well as the Greek houses, which ensure a constant stream of activity. Certain buildings are open all night and well populated by the all-night study crowd. There is a free shuttle service, the Stingerette, that offers nighttime transport.

Most upperclassmen live off-campus in one of many student apartment buildings in the midtown area. More are built every year and have great amenities. Most are very close to campus. I wouldn’t suggest walking home alone to these later at night, but students manage well. Quite a few upperclassmen have cars.

As for things to do in Atlanta, I would say this is a huge plus for GT over most schools. Midtown Atlanta offers an abundance of green space, restaurants, bars, shops, and entertainment venues. Students also frequent nearby Buckhead and other parts of Atlanta, and extended weekend trips to places like Florida, Savannah and even New Orleans are common, especially among the Greek kids. There are many sporting events at nearby Mercedes Benz stadium, and Braves games are popular. Of course, there are many on-campus sporting events too. Greek life offers so many opportunities to socialize that it would be difficult to take advantage of all of them (for those who are so inclined).

Atlanta also offers an abundance of internship and co-op sites. Delta and Home Depot are popular, and Microsoft is building an enormous campus two miles away from campus. There are many others too.

4 Likes

Indeed the threads at Georgia Tech are wonderful! Campus feel is to be determined, but just how admissions work has been a eye opener for him. Georgia Tech is so transparent and has provided so many resources including podcasts, blog posts, etc. that have been so helpful. These things may seem little but they go a long way when making such a decision!

4 Likes

What are typical prices in midtown Atlanta? My other kid is at USC and off campus is “by the bed space” rather than single room (2 to a room). Is it uncommon for sophomores to not be in a dorm? Are there campus apt style options?

Another thing we noticed was the collaboration between various majors. It gives a different perspective to the students.

1 Like

A really, really nice, new student apartment near campus runs about $1,250 a month. For this you get many, many amenities, your own room, and own bathroom. Some amenities that come to mind are pool, study spaces, outdoor movie theatre, golf simulator room, workout rooms, yoga rooms, conference spaces, and more.

2 Likes

Wow- that is cheap compared to LA. A single room in LA close to campus is about $2300. Last year my daughter stayed home as all the dorms were closed. She could have gotten an apartment, but she had 2 virtual science labs and to share a room with someone just didn’t make sense. She needed privacy and a single room was just too pricy. That’s the downside of LA prices.

1 Like

There are apartment style dorms on campus. 4 bedrooms 2 bathroom( 2 kids share one bath ) living space and kitchen. One student per room. The dorm is gated too.

6 Likes

Rejected

When does Georgia Tech notify accepted students if they have qualified for merit scholarships, for example, the Provost Scholarship for OOS students? Did anyone get notification of such an award with their online acceptance letter yesterday?

That has gone up a couple hundred dollars at many apartments if you are not resigning a lease or hit a special. My son just signed a lease at one of the midtown high rises. We were expecting that number as well! Parking is an additional 90-100 and then a few extra dollars for required liability insurance.

The other thing to consider is there are 11 1/2 month leases so unlike like the dorms or fraternity houses you will be paying for summer. We hope to sublease but not guaranteed.

Home Park is much cheaper and there are more affordable places further out but the Standard/Mark/Square on 5th bill themselves as luxury and have the price to go with it.

Late to the game but here it goes

DS22 accepted for EE!!! :tada::confetti_ball:

OOS / 1560 SAT / 3.98 UW / 5.4 W / NMSF
19 APs / 6 DEs / highest math: Diff Eq / multiple awards in math competitions at the regional, state, and national level.

Congrats to all who have been accepted! :partying_face:

Good luck to all who were deferred! :four_leaf_clover::crossed_fingers:t2:
Remember that It’s not over until it’s over.

For the ones who were rejected:
Someday you’ll realize that every time you thought you were being rejected from something good, you were just being pointed toward something better :heart:

13 Likes