Georgia Tech Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

this is like not true but nevertheless a great way to cope

Got it. I didn’t expect them to reject such great stats. But these days, it is a wild guessing game for most even though they have worked hard and have great stats.

I was in a similar situation with my son a few years ago and he was starting to lose it. He got into a great program in March and has had a great experience. He is a junior and has already gotten 4 internship offers for this summer. Wherever the kids end up going, they will do great as long as they work hard and have a great attitude. With the stats your Son has, I am sure he will do great.

My D went for a jog on Saturday and had a few hours of basketball/walking with her friends yesterday and she is feeling better now.

3 Likes

Thanks for the encouraging words!
We are bracing for the RD waves at other schools that he has applied to …will update on how things turnout.

Meanwhile, congratulations to everyone that got in!

1 Like

Rejected OOS. 1550 SAT (single attempt), 11 APs, 4.4 GPA (3.9 UW). Extensive technical/leadership/athletic ECs, A’s in college Multivariable Calc and Matrix Algebra. Proficient to Expert in 10 programming languages, has patent, successful company founder. Did not seek financial aid.

There isn’t really more the kid could do imo, GT just didn’t like his demographics. Hopefully it will all work out. He isn’t a fan of humidity anyway.

5 Likes

I created this thread specifically for all deferred applicants:

Hope to see you there.

3 Likes

GT just tweeted the EA2 admission numbers.
2900 admits from 1844 schools. That is 1.6 students per school. Per Naviance, my high school has an annual 25%+ admit rate to GT with 6 or more admits every year. So, I am wondering if

1. this year will be less
  2. admits in the past have been RD than EA
  3. Naviance data is wrong

To my knowledge, my peers were deferred or denied this year. No admits so far.

Does that 2900 admitted EA2 include Fall 2023 Pathway transfer offers? It looks like it does. My friend’s kid got a transfer offer. They are OOO, not legacy or first gen and stuff. Not sure why Ga Tech make such offers. It might be sometimes ppl drop after the first year? But they are happy with the transfer offer.

1 Like

The Naviance data pulls over a long time span - could be over 10 years. The admit rates have changed for GT during that time.

From a data viewpoint, such small pieces of data from one school are considered statistically insignificant.

And it is self reported data.

It is interesting to look at, but not always helpful in determining outcomes.

I spoke to the GA Tech admissions officer today. She said it is 12% EA2 admits + another 12% for Pathway offers. 22% deferrals and 46% rejects.

For those interested, the FAQ says, about deferred students being accepted:

Each year varies. Over the past two years, approximately one-third of deferred students were ultimately accepted for the first-year class.

Naviance also shows data year by year. Yes, it is self reported hence my third bullet about reliability.

1 Like

Just a guess, but I think Georgia Tech gives all the transfer opportunities because there is a huge demand and only 3500 spots. They are limited in the number of students they can house on campus. They feel very strongly about the first year on campus residential experience and the support it gives to new college students. They also want to expand the undergraduate student body I think. Georgia Tech is not very big. I think undergrad is around 16,500 as of last fall.

Is there no guaranteed housing after first year?

There is no guaranteed housing after first year. In fact, there is no guaranteed housing for first years but they make it work even with recent expansions of the class. They announced recently that all traditional style undergrad dorms (not apartments) will be prioritized for first year students for the upcoming fall.

Only a percentage of students live in on campus housing after their first year. Many move to fraternity or sorority houses which are on campus or close or to surrounding student apartments. However, I have never heard of an upper class student being unable to get on campus housing if enrolled. The ones that may fall through the cracks are upper classmen who transfer and who want to live on campus.

2 Likes

Thank you for the details.

Our kid was able to secure on campus housing all 3 yrs of undergrad.

12% for pathway appears to be a very high!

Admissions just posted on their Instagram story:

12% Admitted
13% Denied, but offered a transfer pathway
24% Deferred
46% Denied
5% Incomplete or withdrawn applications

5 Likes

Does GT release decisions in waves or is the next decision expected sometime mid march?

They gave out 8000 plus transfer pathways last year