Georgia Tech Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

i am able to access this. hopefully it means an acceptance

Donā€™t you think they are just using any account with a GT email extension though to verify?

No. The account was created with non GT email.

So how would that be linked to your GT student profile and a sign of admissions if you arenā€™t using your OSCAR login?

2 Likes

Exactly; the Folio thing isnā€™t a sign, even if you get an error you can say take me to your homepage and create a student account there. If you say youā€™re at Georgia Tech you can make an account so itā€™s not an admission sign. Think we should all just be patient lol; at least until day of decision release

2 Likes

My guess is there is some type of OATH/OpenID flow. Nearly all modern websites use this for 3rd party authorization today.

In a nutshell: Click on a link to a protected resource. That link might have a token and redirect url as query string parameters. The protected resource (portfolium) then captures those variables and redirects to identity server (GT) and verifies the credentials of the logged in user and redirects back to the protected resource with Claims Identity information. The protected resource (Portfolium) then verifies the credentials passed from the identity server (GT) and authorize the client.

I canā€™t be sure, but as a professional programmer familiar with the process, I am highly confident this, or something very similar (for example a client side JWT token), is done.

1 Like

But it is a paid service and we didnā€™t do that, at least I didnā€™t. Instead, we were apparently given a free lifetime account and the education at Georgia Tech was prepopulated for us.

That said, I do think it odd for GT to give out such accounts to admitted students who have not yet enrolled.

From what I read, last year only admitted students could even access Canvas but they fixed it this year. Being able to access Folio and create an account may or may not be a left-over remnant of the bug they fixed. We will all find out next week.

Like I said, I have little confidence in being accepted and I would err on the side that being able to create the account has nothing to do with admission status.

3 Likes

im sorry, i know u mentioned it, but how do you see if you can access folio again? is it thru the main portal? slightly anxious lol

Donā€™t be anxious. I highly doubt it means anything.

ah yes, i get ā€œhouston we have a problemā€

If you go onto gmail.com and try signing in with your oscar username (last name and a number) @gatech.edu, do you have an email address?

when i click portfolium, do i click on log in with canvas? then what do i log in with

For me - I am able join folio. Why would gtech waste resources unless you are an admit and you accepted. Weird but hope for the best.

Texas A&M has a help site for enrolled students where Iā€™ve seen that phrase, so apparently it happens sometimes even with students in their system.

oof i get " Houston, we have a problem." as well. guess this means i didnā€™t get in.

1 Like

If you are referring to the username to log in to passport, no. Google says could not find your user account. You can?

Donā€™t lose hope and donā€™t focus on these portal astrology mumble jumble. Itā€™s best to do other things to take your mind off and just check on Friday at 7.

4 Likes

thank you for your words. iā€™m just worried after being deferred from usc and only getting into my 2nd choice at purdue. :frowning: Iā€™m hoping I get in somewhere next Friday

does anyone have anything other than houston we have a prob, and like full access?

o ok.so maybe houston and having full access r good signs. did anyone have smt diff

1 Like