Getting Written Up in the Residence Halls

<p>I just got written up for the second time in the Residence Halls, for being too loud at night, which was definitely an exaggeration. I can honestly say we were not that loud, but the RA's like to pick on our room so they checked it out. There was unfortunately a beer can sitting out, but the only thing in the room. So I took the write up again, after already being on University Housing reprimand.. </p>

<p>So what's going to really happen to me now?
And if I get kicked out of the dorms, would I get my housing dues back at all?</p>

<p>They probably gave you a copy of the rules and regulations. Find them and read them. I think you get 3 strikes but the offense may matter too.</p>

<p>Your best source of info is Res Halls- call them.</p>

<p>You wouldn’t be kicked out for two offenses especially if they’re not that bad. If you got kicked out, you wouldn’t get your dues back so be careful.</p>

<p>The only two people I knew to get kicked out last year had pretty severe offenses so it takes a lot. This includes a guy with <7 offenses including open source alcohol, stealing, rude to RAs etc and also a guy who got caught dealing weed. </p>

<p>Just learn the times the RAs walk around. Last year they went around like clockwork: Sun-Th at 11:00 and 12:30 ish and Fri-Sat at midnight and 1:00. Just turn down the music from about 5 mins before that until you know they go by. After that feel free to blast it all you like (As long as your neighbors aren’t to ****y about it). Honestly you can get away with quite a bit, just be smart about it.</p>

<p>Parent here, different perspective. Your definition of loud and your neighbors’ may differ. Have some consideration for them. You do not have the right to interfere with their ability to sleep by virtue of being too loud. At least noise complaints go through Res Halls and not the city police. btw- when it comes time to get an apartment you will be asked to list references from past places you have lived. Res Halls will be one of them. Getting kicked out of the dorms for noise could affect your ability to rent some places. And neighbors can call the city police for noise complaints when you live off campus.</p>

<p>“the RA’s like to pick on our room”…</p>

<p>That is the classic type of line I heard from my sons over the years when they would not take responsibility for their situation. Now just why do you think the the RAs “like to pick” on you?</p>

<p><a href=“As%20long%20as%20your%20neighbors%20aren’t%20to%20****y%20about%20it”>Quote</a>

[/Quote]
</p>

<p>I’m sorry, are you saying your neighbors are being *****y when they ask you to turn down the music you’re blasting, and after quiet hours are in effect?</p>

<p>Really? </p>

<p>Gotta second UT84321, too. Everyone I knew who said the housefellows “picked on them” did everything possible to get caught, basically. When you’re drinking in the hallways and being belligerent, that’s not them picking on you, nor is it when they just enforce the rules.</p>

<p>Growing up doesn’t end just when you turn 18 or start college. You’re hearing from peers and parents (and now is the time for a certain ■■■■■…). Would YOU appreciate others doing to you what you are doing to them? You just began the semester, get your act together and this can all be forgotten. Think- housefellows need to clamp down early in the semester so bad habits don’t form that ruin the experience for others.</p>

<p>btw- regarding alcohol and other rules. You’ll be surprised at the rules you sign onto when you rent an apartment- they cover much of the same as the dorms regarding noise, parties, et al. Landlords want to keep the majority of good tenants and want to be able to kick out those who ruin their ability to keep their places rented. They also pay attention to laws- not good for them to have police involved at their properties.</p>

<p>Your experience is a taste of the real world- it is not parenting but preserving the rights of others to enjoy the space they paid for. One reason to rent from Res Halls is knowing bullies don’t rule.</p>