Go to a CC then transfer, or go straight to university?

Hello,

I’m experiencing a bit of a dilemma and would greatly appreciate some insight from people who know this subject better than I do. I’m a first-generation Hispanic high school senior, looking to transfer to a university to study pure mathematics. I come from a low-income background, but despite my limited opportunities, I have become extremely interested in math. I’ve been going to a local community college for higher-level math courses and have found myself to be drawn to pure mathematics, and have been independently studying things like analysis and calculus of variations. Like literally every other student, I’d like to get into a university that could offer me the best education and treatment of mathematics.

However, there is a problem. I used to be an at-risk youth, and I was into drugs, alcohol, and other kinds of trouble. I was the kind of kid who always got kicked out of class and didn’t care about school. During my 9th grade year, my attitude changed, and I began to actually like school. I went to a small charter school for high school, since none of the other schools wanted me. I became an A student and went from the worst in my class to the top of my class. I went there up to my first semester Junior year, but they didn’t offer AP, honors, extra curricular, sports, etc. so I attended CC math courses. I transferred during Spring 2015 to another high school, because I felt my old high school did not offer enough for me. I have earned A’s there too, and now I am faced with the following problem: Do I apply to universities now, or go to a CC and transfer as a junior?

I feel that I should wait, because my profile’s kind of empty. I’m not captain of the chess club or soccer team; or the president of the associated student government. I have never received awards or honors because my old high school never offered anything. I’m not completely empty; I have many volunteer things to show my interests in supporting my community, and I have a 4.0s. I also have work experience at a semi-skilled job (quality control inspector) at an engineering company, and I also currently work at a tutoring facility (Kumon Math and Reading).

So, will this hold me back? I feel like it will limit my opportunities. Of course I can tell the universities that I never had the chance to take AP, join the chess or swim club, etc. but will it still limit me?
I’m being told to apply to universities NOW, because my counselors tell me that my current progress in math makes a valuable candidate, and that universities would offer me full rides, thus making CC more costly. Also, I was told universities are more interested in students as freshman rather than juniors.
However, if I don’t apply now, I have the chance to build a profile, now that I have opportunities. I was hoping to transfer to a CC and actually involve myself to demonstrate that I am a caring person, rather than a reclusive math major. With a better profile, this could allow my chances to get into a university to increase.
Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

GPA?
Test scores?
State of Residence?
Are you low income?

Your GC is giving you good advice.

I would have going to a 4 year University now as your primary goal. If you are into Math, you will probably go crazy at a CC.

There are many affordable schools that probably don’t care so much about your ECs…e.g. your State University. They probably have a pretty good math department and mostly are interested in your GPA and SAT scores.

Try working with your parents to run a Net Price Calculator for any colleges of interest. Your family may be able to afford more than you think.

You also have many ECs that sound fine to me. Talk to your math teachers about what they would suggest for you.

Sorry, I’m new. I have 4.0s, and I took the ACT and got a 26 with a 10 on the esaay score. I plan to retake it to bump up my scores. I live in California, and I am low income.
Will a university place me lower than say, someone whose transcript is covered in AP’s? I am competing against people who’s parents have bachelors and graduate degrees, but my parents never made it to college. In fact, my father couldn’t get past 6th grade in Mexico because he had to work to send his little sisters to school. Does this place me lower?

For school rigor, you will be judged based on what your school offers in terms of AP classes. How many does your school offer? If you are low income, first generation in California, there are many schools that would love to have you attend.

First I would calculate your CSU/UC GPA: http://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

Since you are low income, you will be eligible for financial aid in the way of Cal Grants and Federal Pell grants to help with college expenses. I would run the Net Price calculator on several schools to see what your price to attend will be. Since you in-state California, I would look at several Cal States and UC’s.

Based on your posted GPA and ACT, look at CSU Long Beach, San Diego, Fullerton, Cal Poly Pomona, San Jose State, UC Riverside, UC Santa Cruz and UC Merced for starters.

Good Luck.

My school offers all kinds of AP courses and honors courses; however, I transferred to this high school mid-junior year. Because of this, I couldn’t take AP til my senior year. I have to work to financially support myself, and most of the AP courses that I wanted to take this year were in the morning, so I couldn’t take any AP other than AP Lit.
Could I still take the AP exams at the end of the year? I may not have physically been able to take AP courses, but would a college still consider an AP score? I could do this in order to fill my AP “void.”

Yes, you can take the AP exams but the colleges really want to see the grades in the AP courses for course rigor. AP exam scores are not used for admission purposes, but for college credit. I would have the GC note in their report that due to you transferring HS’s, you were unable to take the AP courses for Junior year so you would be judged accordingly.

I suggest you first apply to four year schools because the best money is offered to freshman applicants. Also look at the website imfirst.org. It targets first generation students and pairs with colleges actively looking for first generation students. Look over the list of partner colleges and see the programs that they offer for first generation because those colleges are specifically looking for someone like you. Also be sure to apply via the EOP route for California State colleges. EOP would be more understanding of the bumps in your transcripts. Colleges also understand that many first gen, low-income students don’t have the ability to be very involved in extra-curriculars. Your story is compelling and that is what they are looking for.

Your GC is giving you good advice. Be sure to apply early action because the best money and admission rates are in the early rounds. Run the net price calculator for every college on your list to make sure it is affordable for you. No sense sending a application to an unaffordable college. Make sure you apply for Cal Grants by the deadline.

Some schools off the top of my head who would understand your situation and value it are Pitzer College and St. Mary’s of Moraga. Both are in California. Also look at the diversity fly-in list posted at getmetocollege.org (may be com-but under the student tab). Some colleges will pay for you to visit their college. However now is the time to apply for those kinds of diversity fly-ins.

Good luck. Keep posting your questions.

OP- look at my posts in this thread. It has some information to get you started in applying to 4 years colleges and how to stay organized etc. Remember, colleges value your jobs so put them all down on your applications and resume. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/14806712#Comment_14806712