Good schools in NYC with African Americans

<p>Well I am a rising junior and I am having a hard time finding colleges that I like that have no less than 15% of African American students.</p>

<p>You realize the United States is less than 15% African American, right? The US is 13.2% black. You might check out HBCUs if you’re looking for higher percentages. Also, look at schools in states that are more black. For example, in Hawaii, which is less than 2% black, you are not going to find a school that is over 15% black. Mississippi, however, is 37% black, so it’s much more likely to have schools (besides HBCUs) that are over 15% black.</p>

<p>Ok…</p>

<p>Does it have to be NYC? How about New Orleans, Atlanta, or Chicago - great cities like those? What’s your intended major?</p>

<p>No it kind of has to be in nyc or at least somewhere in the northeast( mainly Maryland or d.c) and currently I am still undecided for my major,but leaning towards a biology major</p>

<p>Monroe College, but it’s a tad bit ratchet</p>

<p>Any of the CUNY schools are probably on the higher side of % AA students, but it’s still only around 17-20%</p>

<p>What are looking for out of an education?</p>

<p>If you focus on the racial make up of a school, you may miss the most aspect of education which is to learn and the most important need for adulthood which is financial stability (not every school can get you to where you hope to be financially and that is a separate issue from the racial make up of a school.)</p>

<p>It’s your experience though. Howard U in DC has the racial make up and the juice to launch a good career and provide a good education.</p>

<p>I think last year Columbia was 14% AA…or it mght have been that 2 years ago.</p>

<p>@Madaboutx I’m looking for an education that will challenge prepare me well for life after college( I know that is a typical answer, but that is mainly what I am looking for) </p>

<p>Howard, Hampton, Morehouse, Spelman are all high on the list but none are in NYC. NYC has the New School and many others but looking for a school with certain racial make up may ultimately hurt your post college outcomes.</p>