Grad School Prospects for VT U-grads

<p>I haven't been able to find too much information about the specifics of this on the web, so i figured i would come here. I'm interested in doing engineering(specifically electrical) at VT, but one of the biggest 'strengths' ive heard people say about VT is how well it prepares you for the workforce. I really have no desire to enter the workforce right after ugrad and want to get into a PhD program right after ugrad.</p>

<p>So my question is, how do the graduates of VT do in the grad school department? Specifically at top notch programs for engineering and science?</p>

<p>This is one of the biggest actors influencing my decision as to where to go to school, so any help would be great!</p>

<p>thanks,
Brielin Brown</p>

<p>A buddy of mine graduated from Virginia Tech with a degree in Electrical Engineering--he had a 3.3 GPA and had done a lot of research opportunities within the University. I'm not too sure what he scored on his placement test--but he got into MIT for his graduate studies. Also, his roommate (another friend of mine) studied Mechanical Engineering and went to grad school at Stanford. However, my friend who went to Stanford went there to study Medicine. VT Mechanical Engineering + Stanford Med School = INTENSE!</p>

<p>VTEngineer,</p>

<p>Thanks, for that. I cant imagine how intense that sequence is! Thats actually good to know that he went for medicine and not engineering. I'm fairly sure I want to do EE as a ugrad, but who knows I may want to do applied (or even theoretical) physics for grad school.</p>

<p>The engineering work load during your 2nd Semester Sophomore - 2nd Semester Junior year is absolutely ridiculous. VT is a really tough school. We're talking class/homework/studying 8am-2am on a regular basis.</p>

<p>I know a couple of people doing eng at tech who say its extremely difficult. They say the first year is just hard as crap for absolutely no reason, then after that its absolutely ridiculous, but I'm definitely willing to put in the work; no engineering program is a walk in the park.</p>

<p>ps. don't forget to eat somewhere in that 18 hour block. lol.</p>

<p>Yeah its absolutely insane--Your Freshman year will seem like a walk in the park compared to your 2nd semester sophomore and junior years--but even your freshman year is REALLY time consuming. The material covered in your Junior year can be down right SCARY at times.</p>

<p>ehiunno: You might want to try this link: <a href="http://www.career.vt.edu/scripts/postgrad2006/report/GradSchoolAttendanceList.asp?College=05&Major=ALL&Cohort=2004-2005&SortBy=M%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.career.vt.edu/scripts/postgrad2006/report/GradSchoolAttendanceList.asp?College=05&Major=ALL&Cohort=2004-2005&SortBy=M&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>This is the last year that info is available for. There is a wealth of info on the Career Services website.</p>

<p>TNMom,</p>

<p>thanks a ton! that site is very helpful</p>