Grants/Scholarships to Pennsylvania students going out of state

I wish there was a reciprocal tuition option for PA students for neighboring states but I have not found anything. The only major school that I have seen is Michigan State offers a PA Spartan grant to reduce tuition close to in-state tuition for Pitt/Penn State. Am I missing anything (hopefully)?

What are your stats ? If good enough you can get cheaper than in state most likely. A school like W Carolina is cheaper even full pay.

1 Like

I have heard that Pennsylvania doesn’t have tuition reciprocity agreements with any other state.

However there are states that offer a lot of merit aid to out-of-state students, bringing the cost of attendance lower than your state schools. And some smaller private schools will give enough merit to match your home state flagship.

In what regions/states would you prefer to study?

The Northeast which seems to be pricier than the other regions. Basically U of Maryland as the furthest south.

4.3 GPA / 1310 SAT so not expecting much merit aid and will not qualify for need based aid

What is your budget?

1 Like

Ideally cost of Pitt or Penn State or “close”. Private school sticker price is too high.

Doesn’t University of Maine still match Pennsylvania instate? I know they did a few years ago. There merit is also very generous.

Thank you! I thought it was only for the NE schools and did not extend down to PA but it looks like the Flagship program might cover PA.

SUNY Oswego does a Flagship Match for “academically qualified students” but doesn’t specify what that means. Even without that, the OOS COA (cost of attendance — tuition plus room, board, & fees) at $34k/year is about the same as the PA resident COA for Penn State at about $32K/year. Maybe other SUNY school are similar?

1 Like

Hendrix (AR) and Knox (IL) offer tuition match and would be academic targets for your stats but aren’t in the NE.
Wheaton (MA) would likely offer merit - excellent LAC, innovative programs.
In Michigan, Kalamazoo may be possible.
Show interest (sign up for collwge emails, click on the links in the emails that sound interesting.)
St Mary’s Maryland (public honors) offers scholarships.
Look into SUNYs -Oswego as mentioned above has a specific reciprocity program but others’ cost may be similar to Penn State’s: Oneonta, Cortland, New Paltz, even Geneseo or Albany.

1 Like

All the SUNYs, apart from Binghamton, participate in the Tuition Match program. So all the SUNYs would be the same tuition as Penn State-UP: https://www.suny.edu/go/oos/. From the website:

You don’t need to do anything. If you apply to one of the 22 participating SUNY campuses from any of the 8 designated states, if you get in, the campus you are applying to will automatically apply a cost adjustment to match the tuition and fees of your home-state flagship.

ETA: For those interested in knowing which states can do the tuition match at the SUNYs:

If you live in one of the states listed below, SUNY will match the tuition and fees of your state’s flagship.

Connecticut: UConn - Storrs
Pennsylvania: Penn State - University Park
New Jersey: Rutgers - New Brunswick
Massachusetts: UMass Amherst
Vermont: UVM - Burlington
New Hampshire: UNH - Durham
Illinois: University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
California: UC Berkeley

3 Likes

Depending on where in Pennsylvania you’re from, U. of Louisville (KY) gives some good merit aid out. Residents of Bucks, Berks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia counties are considered for the regional scholars program.

If you’re not in one of those counties, you only lose out on $1k/year for the National Scholars Program. With a 1310 SAT, you could expect $12-13k off of the tuition which runs about $28k/year for out-of-state students, depending on which county you live in.

2 Likes

Thanks all for the resources so far! This is great.

2 Likes

Youngstown State in Ohio seems to have a very small out-of-state surcharge.
https://ysu.edu/tuition-financial-aid

2 Likes