Greek life at Tech!

<p>im interested in applying to tech in the fall and i was wondering if someone could tell me about sororities at tech and the recruitment process. thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Here is a link for the Panhellen Council sororites [url=&lt;a href=“Virginia Tech Panhellenic – Engage. Lead. Learn. Inspire. Serve.”&gt;Virginia Tech Panhellenic – Engage. Lead. Learn. Inspire. Serve.]Recruitment[/url</a>]</p>

<p>There are 12 NPC Chapters, they have houses in the Oak Lane Community. Recruitment is in January. I also read that 80% of leaders in campus groups come from the Greek Community.</p>

<p>^ source?</p>

<p>I would love to see that. While I wont doubt that Greek life is popular, I find it very hard to believe that 80% of the campus leaders are Greek. Especially since there is a popular stereotype that that’s where all the partiers and less-than-serious students go.</p>

<p>The parents newsletter sent out last august was my source. [August</a> 2011 | Hokie Parent Newsletter | DSA | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.dsa.vt.edu/hokieparent/august2011.php]August”>http://www.dsa.vt.edu/hokieparent/august2011.php)
" Fraternities and Sororities at Virginia Tech provide about 80% of all campus leaders in other organizations, including Orientation Leaders, Hokie Camp Counselors, SGA members, Class Office, and more"
And Greeks are very much serious students. The all Greek GPA consistently across the country is higher than all university averages. Greeks graduate at higher rates, and contribute more as alumni than other groups.</p>

<p>Well well well, look at that. I’m a bit surprised to say the least.</p>

<p>I can honestly say with a straight face that on average, the people I’ve met that were in Greek life were some of the dumbest people I’ve met. I guess that just goes to show that people should never generalize.</p>

<p>Do the frats also hold recruitment in the spring?</p>

<p>Kinda?</p>

<p>I know the last week of January there was a ton of rushing going on. Every time I walk across the drillfield I still see some fraternity/sorority poster talking about recruiting. I think the majority of it is done before actually Spring starts. </p>

<p>I could be wrong though.</p>

<p>Yes fraternities do recruit in the spring</p>

<p>I was greek at Tech and can honestly say that the 80% of campus leaders, involved students, etc seems like a low number. The all sorority GPA is far higher than the independent average, when I was in school I think DG, KD, ADPi, and maybe Tridelt all had GPA’s over 3.4.</p>

<p>Fraternity recruitment is every fall and spring for 3 weeks the week after syllabus week. Sororities do informal in the fall for the ones that don’t meet quota, standard recruitment is every Spring the week before classes are scheduled to start. I don’t know much about what the girls do other than they have different rounds to go through all the houses, then organizations cut girls they don’t want, then it repeats until everyone’s found a house.</p>

<p>I know in my fraternity all our pledges were <em>strongly</em> encouraged to get involved on campus and I can only name 2 guys out of the 140 or so brothers who came through while I was on campus that weren’t high up in some campus organization or other.</p>

<p>80% does seem low to me as well, because whenever I’ve met someone who is involved, well respected, and a leader on campus, they are almost always in greek life. Virginia Tech has an amazing set of sororities, and I hope you find your home!</p>

<p>@hokiehokiehi - you must hang around a lot of people in frats and sororities. Seriously, many many people on campus are involved in different activities. The Greek organizations create and participate in many activities so it is easy to be involved and become a leader in the activity. IMO “campus leader” is an overblown term - - leader of whom? Does anyone know that they are being led or would the other students consider that ridiculous?</p>

<p>I too am curious about what constitutes a “campus leader”.</p>

<p>I’m involved in a couple activities on campus; some of the leaders are greek, but most aren’t. The leaders that are greek belong to the academic fraternities/sororities - not the social ones. </p>

<p>Also, don’t most social fraternities require their members to be apart of a certain amount of clubs? 80% of campus leaders sounds impressive, but I reality I don’t believe it is.</p>

<p>Since there are 700+ student organizations, I do not know in what context “campus leader” is being used. But from my experience, the higher student leaders on campus come from University Chartered Student Organizations (USCOs) and University Student Life Programs (USLPs)</p>

<p>I worked really extensively with many USCOs on campus this past year. These are the groups that are “official” Virginia Tech student organizations, who can use Virginia Tech as part of their title (ex: Virginia Tech SGA vs. Student Organization at Virginia Tech).
I knew leaders from many USCOs and USLPs, such as Class Council, SGA, BOC, BSA, Residence Hall Federation, etc. and SO many of them were greek.
As a side note, this included the minority greek organizations which are the Multicultural Greek Council (Latino, Asian, other minorities) and National Pan-Hellenic Council (Black Fraternities & Sororities). Aside from these student groups, many orientation leaders and Hokie Ambassadors are also greek.</p>

<p>To put into perspective, the significance of the USCO/USLP organization leaders vs. the Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) is the amount of work that they do with the university and the amount of resources they have access to. For example, I was fortunate enough to meet with several Vice Presidents every few weeks and have lunch with President Steger a few times. The upper leaders in these groups get to do this regularly, and although they might not be known by all of the student body, several administrators will know them very well. They also work with larger amounts of funding and have access to more resources (for example, BSA got $175k loaned to them for the Kevin Hart show, which they paid back in full and made profit off of). </p>

<p>To summarize, in these major student organizations I’ve found that MANY of the leadership, especially upper leadership, are greek. It was a huge surprise for me, since the USCO that I am from is not very connected to the greek community and since I’m not greek either.</p>