Greek Life

<p>Does Greek life really take over your life? I'm thinking I want to rush but I also want to play club lacrosse. Would that be possible?</p>

<p>yeah it’s possible. just know that rush is intense and tiring. and if you choose to join, there’s lots of meetings, events, things to do, etc every week for the house and new membership. i know people who are in a ton a clubs and still are in a sorority/fraternity, you just have to find a balance. people put as much effort into the house as they want; some people are REALLY actively involved with the house, and some choose not to be or just don’t have time to.</p>

<p>Rush isn’t the intense and tiring part of joining a house. It is rather, fun and social. Pledgeship is where it becomes intense and tiring with all the meetings, events, etc. For example, my house has a few brothers that are active in clubs/organizations while there are others who are more active in the house. Being active only in the house can bring good results as well, we had brothers we got accepted to law school, Harvard’s b-school, etc. It really comes down to you time managing between club lacrosse and the house. College in general is all about time management…</p>

<p>Thanks!!
I’m majoring in Engineering so would I have time for both you think? I’m pretty good with managing my time and I’d really like to try both, but I still want to keep my grades up.</p>

<p>Also is living in a sorority house comparable to dorm pricing? I realize you don’t live in the house freshmen year, I’m just thinking about later…</p>

<p>well, i think sorority rush is tiring because you have to go to every house, meet tons of people and can’t really miss a day…then school work on top of that because classes are just starting. that’s why a lot of girls drop out of the process. frats rush is completely different and way more laid back, probably a lot more enjoyable too lol. and my good friend is in a house, she said it’s $850/month for your room/meals/house fees/etc, but it honestly depends on the house. some are nicer than others, some have lots of other fees. but you should manage, it’s not impossible.</p>

<p>Yup, some houses have more fees than others. My house has a one-time, lifetime membership fee you pay when you become a brother. Other houses has annual membership fees or 2-year membership fees, etc. I’m not sure how much sorority houses cost to live in but I’m sure it’s still cheaper than dorms.</p>

<p>[Purdue</a> Fraternity and Sorority Life](<a href=“http://www.purduegreeks.com/data.php]Purdue”>Purduegreeks.com)</p>

<p>Go down to Chapter House Costs and you will see an estimate. It’s data from 2007 but I’m sure it increased/decreased a bit. Some houses like Phi Sigma Rho (Women’s Engineering Sorority) are getting new houses so housing costs might increase. Cause I know Phi Kappa Psi has a higher cost of living since they got a new house in the Acres.</p>

<p>I agree that sororities have a harder rush than fraternities since it’s formal. However, some sororities have all-year informal rush which allows you to get a bid anytime during the year. You’d be pledging the following Fall semester unless they do a Spring class. I think Fuzzies (Alpha Xi Delta) and Gamma Phi Beta are houses that do informal rush during the year.</p>

<p>So during BGR the sororities have like an open house kind of thing where you get to tour all of them and then during the first week of classes you actually rush and meet the people etc. How does the bidding part work? The sororities that like you just send you an invitation and you pick the one that best fits you? Also is the first week of classes pretty hard? Or is it kind of chill…? I’m going into Engineering so I realize it will be different for all the majors but I was just wondering…</p>

<p>in order to go to the “open houses” you have to be registered for rush. but rush is very structured and is over 3 weeks or so on the weekends? and the first week of class is known as “syllabus week” so you don’t do much, but rush, again, is over a couple weeks. i would really read this <a href=“http://www.purduegreeks.com/sorority/sorority_recruitment_guide_2007_2008.pdf[/url]”>Purduegreeks.com, even though it’s from 2007. it explains everything. and you have to get registered, then you will get a gamma chi (someone already in a house who kind of guides you) and a rush group, who you will tour/meet the girls at all the houses with. and during rush, people who are in sororities can’t tell you what house they’re in, so don’t ask. it’s supposed to be as unbiased as possible, they can’t even give you a kleenex while you’re at the houses. </p>

<p>but you only get one bid, and it may or may not be from the house you want. you tour all the houses with your rush group, and after each day you rank which ones you like and which ones you don’t. basically, if a house likes you, they will call you back (the first and second invitational, this is their way of eliminating people/possible bid-ees) then the second to last day or so you go to your top 3 houses (the ones that have called you back) (this is preferences), or if you “suicide” you just go to your top house pick…wouldn’t recommend doing that though. so basically the last days are really important, so if you miss those days, you’re pretty much out of the whole process because it wouldn’t be fair to the other girls. so it’s something you have to commit to. but then you get a bid from one house, however, not every girl gets a bid, and you don’t have to accept the bid if it isn’t the house you want. but once you decline, you can’t rush again for another year. if you accept the bid, you attend bid night and become a new member and start new member education. then after new member education (usually a couple months long) you get initiated, then you’re a sister and can wear the house letters. sorry if that’s really confusing, but rush is kind of at first and that’s the gist of it.</p>

<p>and some houses do “continuous recruitment” usually in the spring, it depends. this is if the house didn’t get enough members in the fall (they have to meet quota). but it is not at all like formal rush. only certain houses participate, if they need to so it varies every year, and some recruitment events at houses are invitation only. but if you know about a recruitment event, you can openly go and see if you like the house. they have activities every week or so then they usually chose under 10 new members to get a bid. it’s really chill but you’re not guaranteed a bid. also, you may not like any of the houses who are doing continuous recruitment (at the beginning of the spring semester houses announce if they are doing continuous if they need to) so it’s kind of limiting in that sense, formal rush you see every house.</p>

<p>CrazyCat, if your going into Engineering then I highly recommend you to consider Phi Sigma Rho aka Phi Rhos. They are an all-womens, social Engineering sorority and they actually do have real functions with other fraternities. Their current house is horrible and small since most of them live off-campus but they recently purchased a house in the Acres and are renovating it at this moment. It’s a BIG house and it used to house Sigma Chi back in the day when their house was getting renovated. I know a few Phi Rhos since we had a few functions with them in the past and some of them come to our house. Pretty much have a great relationship with them I guess.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone!
For the Engineering Sorority you just rush like the rest? Or is there some kind of special application process?</p>

<p>The rush for Phi Rhos is the same like every other. It’s a Panhellenic sorority so yes. </p>

<p>[Phi</a> Sigma Rho](<a href=“http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~phirho/index.php]Phi”>http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~phirho/index.php)</p>

<p>Oh thanks!</p>

<p>jimgotkp, what house?</p>

<p>Crazycat, sorority rush will take up a lot of your time cuz the girls have to go to every house for a few weekends. fortunately, its pretty much all candy and presents after that. frat pledgeship on the other hand…</p>

<p>I would rather not say. However, I will say we are located in the Acres.</p>