Groups for black students (and Christians) at Seton Hall University

Hello,

I’m a black student who has been accepted to Seton Hall University!

I just recently graduated from my community college with an Associates of Arts in Business, and will transfer to a four-year college in the Fall, with a 95% chance it will be Seton Hall.

I will be a rising junior.

Going on the website of SHU, I have already noticed the Black Student Union, which promotes itself as “a foundation of unity among the black students of Seton Hall through empowerment, education and cultural enlightenment.” It also says it serves to highlight the struggles of oppression against black people, which I’m all for.

For those black students who have gone to Seton Hall and have experiences with this group, what were those experiences like? How often were the meetings, what activities did you partake in, and did you build any lasting relationships? Thanks.

Also, I’m an evangelical Christian and realize that SHU is a Roman Catholic school. I don’t have a problem with that, but am wondering if there are any Christian groups and churches on campus where Protestants like me could be included (I have heard that Protestants are allowed at Catholic church services, but just shouldn’t take communion?).

Thanks!

There are several nearby churches in the community of various non-Catholic Christian denominations if you wish to attend services of your denomination (if it is one which one of the nearby churches is).

Thanks!

Any more replies regarding my inquiries of black student groups would also be appreciated.