Alabama Housing demand exceeds University supply

<p>[Housing</a> demand exceeds University supply | LINK](<a href=“YouA moves from Youtube - The Crimson White”>http://cw.ua.edu/2011/02/09/housing-demand-exceeds-university-supply/)</p>

<p>"Housing and Residential Communities has been forced to wait list students who desire on-campus housing contracts for next year so as to preserve space for students who are most in need of the benefits of on-campus living, "</p>

<p>“HRC engineered its wait lists in descending order of seniority.No current freshmen were wait listed.”</p>

<p>Ruh-roh!!!</p>

<p>Thank goodness my DH gave me the green-light to pay the enrollment / housing deposit today. DS is Bama Bound – and I sure hope that means he has housing!</p>

<p>All freshmen are required to live on campus, so no worries there, he will have housing.</p>

<p>Glad to hear that your son is Bama Bound. Judging from everyone I know, he will have a great college experience!</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>“Magnolia Development for sorority housing behind the President’s Mansion will lead to the elimination of Wilson, Byrd, Parker-Adams and New Hall. Because of this, space for on-campus housing has become scarce.”</p>

<p>OK, not to start a big thing, I just have a logical question that begs to be asked…</p>

<p>How many students will the new sorority housing serve? Is it that important to serve this small slice of the UA community at the cost of eliminating beds in four existing residence halls? Does anyone else find this disconcerting?</p>

<p>last year they ended up not having housing for all freshmen and “allowing” freshmen to live off campus. so even though it is “required”, it is only “required” until all beds are filled.</p>

<p>idk how many girls live in each sorority house. surely less than the number that would live in a dorm.</p>

<p>MikeW: Hmmm…Can you tell me where you heard that? I have not heard anything like that. Why would they allow upperclassmen to remain on campus then?
They could have put more upperclassmen in the bluffs. Perhaps it is just a rumor…</p>

<p>it was near the end of the cycle.</p>

<p>and i don’t think it was a rumor.</p>

<p>i kept an eye on the available rooms for a long time and there was never a bunch of spaces available. you may not have because you guys had an early pick, but we kept an eye on it b/c we didn’t get a great room.</p>

<p>i can’t go find a reference. it would take to long to find.</p>

<p>but i am pretty sure some freshman were granted permission (or whatever they call it) to live off campus whether they wanted it or not!</p>

<p>LadyDiane…</p>

<p>Not only are all frosh required to live on campus (so rooms are available for them), but since your son is a NMF, a super suite bed has been set-aside for him …likely in Riverside North. If he wants another location, then hopefully he’s deposited for housing in time to have other selections of buildings.</p>

<p>So…your son is fine!! :)</p>

<p>BTW…Bama may need to “rethink” using less of The Bluff. If they change their minds and decide to use more of The Bluff, then that should relieve some of these issues. The Crimson Ride does go to The Bluff and it is close enough for a bike ride. </p>

<p>If parents call housing and complain (to the TOP guy), there will likely be changes made. Last year when some of us called about limits in housing, he decided to delay closing The Highlands so that students could reside there.</p>

<p>If you do decide to call this guy, don’t be afraid to leave a detailed voice mail message and your phone number.</p>

<p>“Magnolia Development for sorority housing behind the President’s Mansion will lead to the elimination of Wilson, Byrd, Parker-Adams and New Hall. Because of this, space for on-campus housing has become scarce.”</p>

<p>[$66</a> million, 984-bed dorm planned for university | TuscaloosaNews.com](<a href=“http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20100617/news/100619696]$66”>http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20100617/news/100619696)</p>

<p>Those Dorms are being replaced by the new North Bluff complex, to open 2012 (984 beds)… Part of the ongoing effort to move the big residence halls out of the campus core. North Bluff is being built next to Rose. The new dorms are all built over towards the river, as the older ones are being replaced. Clearly the transition period and the high growth rate of the university is causing some growing pains. The stated goal of 35,000 by 2020 means adding another 5,000 students, to an already large and crowded school. </p>

<p>[Greek</a> growth limits on-campus housing | The Crimson White](<a href=“YouA moves from Youtube – The Crimson White”>YouA moves from Youtube – The Crimson White)</p>

<p>[Rapid</a> residential expansion continues with North Bluff | The Crimson White](<a href=“HRC addresses housing issues – The Crimson White”>HRC addresses housing issues – The Crimson White)</p>

<p>[Witt</a> announces 35,000 enrollment goal | The Crimson White](<a href=“HRC addresses housing issues – The Crimson White”>HRC addresses housing issues – The Crimson White)</p>

<p>35,000? WOW! That’s almost in UT Austin’s league.</p>

<p>So–does the Honors College feel like a little college within the university?</p>

<p>Except for nine months that we spent in Charlotte, DS has lived his entire life in a town of 600 people. (Within a much larger metro area, of course, but still…town of 600.)</p>

<p>Hoping he won’t feel completely overwhelmed at UA! :o</p>

<p>“35,000? WOW! That’s almost in UT Austin’s league.”</p>

<p>I am guessing he was brought in to GROW University of Alabama</p>

<p>Academic Vita of Dr. Robert E. Witt
Administrative Appointments
President 2003 to date, University of Alabama
President 1996 to March 2003, University of Texas at Arlington
Interim President 1995 to February 1996, University of Texas at Arlington
Dean 1985 to 1995, University of Texas at Austin, College of Business
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs 1983 to 1985, University of Texas at Austin
Chairman, Department of Marketing 1973 to 1983, University of Texas at Austin</p>

<p>UT is about 50K total</p>

<p>I will have to dig up a reference for this, but Dr. Witt has made it clear that UA’s freshman classes and overall enrollment will not be growing as rapidly as they have over the last eight years. He has made it clear that it will become increasingly difficult to be accepted into UA. I for one think it is past time to significantly raise the admissions standards even more, however, the admissions acceptance rate is already down to 54 % folks. It was around 70 % about five years ago. Auburn’s acceptance rate was 79 % for this last fall. UA does have a problem, but it is a sign of just how popular it is right now.</p>

<p>One more thing, enrollment growth, especially from out of students, is the main reason UA has not had to make major cuts and has been able to add the cream of the crop faculty while other schools have hiring freezes.</p>

<p>*35,000? WOW! That’s almost in UT Austin’s league.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>I don’t think he means 35k in undergrads.</p>

<p>The goal is to grow the GRAD school as well. Dr. Witt also wants to expand the medical school on campus…probably to feature more specialties. </p>

<p>I’m looking for the quotes…</p>

<p>*UA President Robert Witt announced a new enrollment **goal of 35,000 students by 2020 **at Thursday’s board of trustees meeting, according to the Tuscaloosa News.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Pres. Witt is talking about a TEN YEAR goal for **total **students…undergrads, grads, and law students. Those added students won’t be on campus right away!</p>

<p>Right now…there are about 24,000 undergrads on campus. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that Bama is including GRAD and LAW students in that number. Bama had a huge surprisingly big growth in grad school enrollment this fall.</p>

<p>At the University of Alabama, **strong recruiting contributed to the 14.3 percent increase in graduate school applications from the fall of 2008 to 2009, **said Dave Francko, associate provost and dean of the graduate school.</p>

<p>in fall 2010, there were ______ grad/law students. ( I can’t find the date for last fall.)</p>

<p>in 2009, there were 5,100 grad/law students</p>

<p>in 2008, there were 4,700 grad/law students</p>

<p>in 2007, there were 4,500 grad/law students</p>

<p>*A new 10-year plan for the University of Alabama includes expanding the school’s service and academic prestige. University President Robert Witt submitted the plan. It includes these four goals: boosting enrollment, attracting the best students and faculty, increasing community service and becoming what’s called a “Tier One” research institution.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Thanks, y’all! mom2ck – that is very interesting!</p>

<p>And good point re increased enrollment vs. budget cuts. The UNC system is really suffering right now because of cuts! It’s good to go where there’s growth and optimism, not doom and gloom.</p>

<p>That is how we felt at UNC. D was accepted there; but during our admitted student visit we were seeing alot of cuts. The university staff even asked for 2 weeks unpaid vacation and the state said no.</p>

<p>Being from out of state I just wasn’t sure if it was worth the OOS tuition. Fortune had it the we had visited UA just the week before and the two could not really stack up to each other!</p>

<p>The magic of BAMA!</p>