Guys in Nursing Major?

<p>I'll be going to college in the Fall. And I was really interested in knowing what's the general attitude from the female students and professors towards the male nursing students. My school has about 90 kids in their nursing program and their was only one other guy their when I was at Orientation.</p>

<p>I'm the first in my family to go to four year university. So there's really nobody to ask these questions to. I'm new here and it seems you guys are very well knowledge in this kind of stuff. Help would be really appreciated! Thanks!</p>

<p>At my school, the guys in the nursing program are well respected and loved by most of the students and the professors. It’s no biggie…except that guys are few and far between.</p>

<p>I’ve been at nursing message boards where I have read things along the line of teachers telling the male students that they’ve yet to pass a man and don’t plan on doing so any time soon. But that’s an extreme case!</p>

<p>I’ve heard a lot of the opposite . That everyone sticks together through the intense rigour of classes and clinicals. I just want to confirm that the lattter is true. I’m kind of just preparing for anything. I don’t like bad surprises!</p>

<p>Well, I’m sure that a lot of it depends on what school you attend. Also, the number of guys in the program probably makes a difference as well.</p>

<p>When I was in nursing school there were 3 men in class. One had been a medic in the service, he was a really smart guy (smarter than a lot of docs) but wanted to go into nursing. I think most everyone is glad to have some males around. No negative judgements I remember. I worked with 3 or 4 male nurses in the ER.</p>

<p>At my school, I think there are quite a few male RN students. At orientation, I met at least 5, and our orientation group had about 60-120 other regular students, of all majors, part of a 1,000+/- freshman class.</p>

<p>The Pittsburgh Tribune Review had a good article today on guys in nursing “Men flock to nursing programs.” Male enrollment at Duquesne was 16% for the freshman entering class (13% overall for its nursing undergrad students). Nationally, the article cites that 6.6% of the 3M nurses in the United States in 2008 were male, up from 5.8% in 2004. </p>

<p>The article says that the nationwide average in nursing schools is now 10% The article points to a greater awareness of competitive salaries, flexible schedules and the ability to work in different settings as a reason for the upswing. </p>

<p>The article also mentions a nursing program at U-Pitt for nursing students who already have another degree. They have 14 males this year out of 50 students in that program…up from 1 male the year before.</p>

<p>Thanks for the information Neonzeus! For those interested the following is a link to the article:
[More</a> males than ever entering nursing programs - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review](<a href=“http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/pittsburgh/s_700345.html]More”>http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/pittsburgh/s_700345.html)</p>