GW Politics and Values Program

My son was invited to participate in the Politics and Values program. The program seems like a good fit for him, substantively, but it is housed at the Mt. Vernon campus and one of the main draws of GW is being in Foggy Bottom, in the city. Any thoughts? Also, is anyone else on the board considering this program?

My daughter was invited to be in the Civics House program, also on Mt Vernon. My thought is, they have developed these programs specifically to woo kids into the Vern. For my daughter, she is not really impressed. The draw for GW is the urban campus, and the Vern seems inconvenient at best. Honestly, I agree. I think they are going to have to offer more than a living/learning community to get students to want to live on the Vern.

My daughter was invited as well and will be accepting While I’m sure they do house them at “The Vern” to woo kids up there, 1/3 of Freshmen will be placed there so there is a chance they will be assigned there anyway. There are so many advantages to participating in a program such as this. The Professor Goldman is amazing (she sat in on his class last February) and the focus on writing will be something they will benefit from their entire college career. Many who live at the Vern love it and it is a great escape from the noise and drama at Foggy Bottom. There were several posts about this on the Facebook page and most of the parents were saying their kids loved it over all and the only hassle is the shuttle which just requires a bit of planning. Hope this helps!