GW study abroad?

I’m a freshman at GW and I’m thinking of doing a semester abroad but the study abroad website didn’t really answer my questions so I was wondering if any GW students know about the program. Is it a semester abroad? How does this work? Like do I apply through the school or through the foreign schools? I’m interested in the France Sciences Po (first choice) and United Kingdom LSE programs, does anyone have any tips for applying or what to do freshmen/sophomore year to be more likely to get accepted into this programs? I’m probably gonna do it in my junior year.

Whaaat. GW has a study abroad option at LSE?! I would love to do that either this junior year or senior year (incoming transfer btw so I’m also curious about your question).

@msport @imobamaself Yes, many economics students at George Washington like to study at LSE. I’ve met like five students here who have studied abroad at LSE; one girl in my legal writing course studied abroad at LSE and is now starting at Georgetown Law. The London School of Economics is a fantastic university and studying abroad along with a GW degree would look great on your resume. I’m not one hundred percent sure about how the GW-LSE studied abroad works but usually if you want to study abroad at a university you just apply to its summer session program. After transferring into GW you’re allowed to take 9 credits abroad; for example, if you want to take some economics courses at Georgetown you could just apply to Georgetown Summer Session. They easily take GW and American kids; Yale also has a really good summer session program. The summer session classes I took at Yale were taught by full time faculty.

One huge advantage of attending George Washington that I would also like to add is that you can easily intern while taking a full semester here. Some students, for example, do 12 credits in Spring and Fall while interning at nearby firms such as Deloitte, KPMG, World Bank, IMF and Morgan Stanley. So if you really want to be competitive you could intern doing 12 credits in fall and spring and then do a study abroad at LSE. Amass competitive work experience and study abroad at world class universities, and you’re in good shape. SO much easier said than done but definitely worth it big time.

One of my best friends (International Affairs major) studied at Sciences Po last semester and another one of my best friends (Economics major) is studying at LSE this next year. Sciences Po is a semester abroad, but note that LSE programs are year-long, so you might definitely want to take that into consideration. For study abroad in general, there is an application process, which is relatively very easy. However, LSE and Sciences Po are more competitive programs. I believe my Sciences Po friend did not have a too difficult of a time getting in. I cannot remember if there is a separate GPA requirement though, but I assume there is. For LSE, Economics majors have to have a 3.7 GPA, I believe (I cannot remember if that is cumulative or major wise), while other majors have to have at least a 3.5 GPA cumulative.