Hamilton Class of 2027 Official Thread

no complaints! my course load has been very interesting but very manageable, i’m in some clubs, i have a paid internship through Hamilton, etc. currently on spring break and looking forward to going back to finish the semester (also, fun fact, our spring break is 2 whole weeks, which makes everyone else jealous)

1 Like

that all sounds wonderful! is the internship for the summer or is it something you do during the semester? how have you found the other students? friendly? interesting?

The Hamilton website has a lot of very useful and well organized information about new student trips/orientation and key dates/deadlines for parents and student to know. The trips look amazing.

4 Likes

is there an admitted student day?

S23 was admitted yesterday and today we received all the information about the various admitted student days. It’s also on their website though.

2 Likes

I believe this statement under-regards Hamilton’s need-blind admission policy (for domestic first-year applicants).

9 Likes

and half class receiving needs based FA

3 Likes

Our FA offer on its own sounds amazing. Unfortunately, it does not make it an affordable option for us, and it is not close to what the NPC said it was.

can you appeal that? and what do you mean on it own sounds amazing?

2 Likes

I think you need to dig a little deeper. Even the need aware schools in Hamilton’s category are full of kids with significant need.

2 Likes

What is the significance of admitting to J term? Do other schools admit students and defer their enrollment to a later period? Is this logistics (waiting for some kids scheduled to graduate after fall semester, etc.)? Why do they do it?

it’s a 2-year internship where incoming freshman get paired with a local non-profit! so yes, it’s during the school year Community Outreach & Opportunity Project - COOP - COOP Service Internships - Hamilton College

also, i’ve loved the community so far! of course, every student is different, but i’ve already found more “like-minded” friends and friends with similar interests than i ever did in high school. a particularly nice thing about the open curriculum is that weakens a lot of the barriers between students in different majors; people in my creative writing are also majoring in neuroscience, math, art, etc., for example

4 Likes

I just mean that if you said a school gave $x amount of aid- it is a lot of money. But it still leaves a cost of attendance that we are not willing to take out loans to pay.

i understand. do you have more affordable options?

Half. Look at CDS.

Better than Tufts, as an example, but my comment stands. It’s a rich kids school.

You have to take that statement in the context of why I said it - related to not needing to pull from the waitlist.

Enough are willing to pay. I wasn’t debating their aid policies.

Thx.

2 Likes

Yes, but not really what she wants. Still 4 more to hear from.

I wouldn’t count on the waitlist. In addition to the stats a few posters already noted, my D20 is a junior at Hamilton and they’ve had housing challenges the last two years. It’s not just because they were slightly overenrolled, but there were also less students studying abroad because of the pandemic. All undergrads reside on campus unless they are studying away, so you can imagine how the disruption affected housing availability. Hamilton adjusted by building a modular housing unit (first-year students only) at the start of the 2020-2021 academic year. It was meant to be temporary, but it looks like it’s there to stay for awhile until things get back to normal.

2 Likes
1 Like

it’s a way for them to maximize the number of offers they can give. More juniors study abroad in the spring than the fall, which opens up housing that people admitted for january can take

3 Likes

that’s the story of the modular “dorm”. Makes sense. My son was a little horrified by it. Said “I assume they don’t make anyone live there more than 1 year?”

1 Like