hard-working colleges

<p>Five</a> colleges where students study - College, Inc. - The Washington Post</p>

<p>Hmm, not sure my soon-to-be freshman son knew about that ranking! Reassuring to me, as a parent, that he just may be surrounded by some good influences!</p>

<p>It’s not very easy to skate by at UW-Madison. The science majors are brutal & competitive, and the humanities require absolutely tons of reading & analysis. And increasingly, students are up against some of the best minds from all over the country, which can skew grade curves at times.</p>

<p>It’s more like life than any other college I’ve observed. A good thing, yes?</p>

<p>I am going to send this link to my also incoming freshman son. He just told me yesterday that he recently met a UW graduate and she said one of the things she liked about the campus was that students take their studies seriously but they also like to have fun. He wanted a good balance of great academics and social life and I am sure he will find it at UW.</p>

<p>Supports the “Study hard, play hard” saying. Good to see this favorable news about UW in an east coast publication.</p>

<p>That’s great parents but that doesn’t mean YOUR kids will necessarily study. Depends on if they study well without parent supervision.</p>

<p>Leon, what <em>I</em> told MY kid before she left home for Madison was that if she didn’t study and get good grades, she would be back here after freshman year at a much less expensive U. I wasn’t going to pay upwards of $35K/year for her to jack around and get C’s.</p>

<p>That’s all the motivation she needed because she loves Madison. So save the lecture…:)</p>

<p>No kid will survive any college if they need parental supervision to study. Students study as much as they want to get what they want out of college and life. Good to hear UW students want to work hard enough to reap benefits of the school- some more and some less than the average.</p>