Harvard Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Admitted students from the Class of 2025 had an average SAT score of 1494 and an average ACT score of 34. These numbers varied significantly along athlete and income status. Recruited athletes had an average SAT score of 1397, whereas non-athletes averaged 1501. The average SAT score of students with family income under $40,000 was 1443, while those with a family income of more than $500,000 averaged 1520. Legacy students also had a higher average SAT score than non-legacy students, at 1523 for legacy students and 1491 for non-legacy students.

again, from the Crimson article.

1 Like

Has anyone heard from Harvard regarding an interview yet?

I heard they alumni will contact applicants via email to set up interviews but my daughter has not received an email from any alumni yet.

1 Like

I heard that alumni will contact applicants via email to set up interviews but my daughter has not received an email from any alumni yet.

1 Like

Yes, people have been getting interviews. Make sure you check your junk mail too. Also remember, that if there are no alumni that cover the area where you live or few alumni and a lot of applicants, it could decrease chances of an interview. But as has been posted in several places, interviews do not guarantee admission and lack of interview does not mean you will not get admitted. It might just mean nobody is available to interview you in your area. It took my DD about 7 or 8 days to hear after application submittal, she interviewed 2 days later by zoom this past weekend, to give you a sense of timeline in her case. I have heard some that took longer and some that were quicker on another thread.

2 Likes

I got an interview email about an hour ago

2 Likes

How long after application submission did you hear about the interview?

I submitted my commonapp 10/14 but my transcript and recs didn’t go through until 11/6, so I guess it only took a couple days for me but I do live in Boston so that could’ve had something to do with it

I live in MA too—more central though
I still haven’t heard anything. I submitted my app on 10/30 and it was downloaded on 10/31. I hope to hear something soon!
Good luck!

My son got the alumni interview today. After that, what happens next?

That’s surprisingly low,overall, especially considering that standardized tests were optional, so only those with higher scores would have submitted.

Probably best to wait until Harvard releases data. The Crimson first year survey had a 78% response rate, which is high for any survey, yet potentially misleading when calculating average test scores and such. As a survey, all of this information is self-reported by the students as well, so not all of the answers may be accurate.

Further, I find it odd that The Crimson characterizes the average test scores as from admitted students. As these data are supposedly the results of their first year survey, it seems like the numbers must be for matriculants.

Perhaps they are mixing sources though (maybe received admitted data from the school?), and not divulging that. There is also no mention of cutting the data by those who applied TO, which obviously is a critical piece of information.

Admitted students from the Class of 2025 had an average SAT score of 1494 and an average ACT score of 34. These numbers varied significantly along athlete and income status. Recruited athletes had an average SAT score of 1397, whereas non-athletes averaged 1501. The average SAT score of students with family income under $40,000 was 1443, while those with a family income of more than $500,000 averaged 1520. Legacy students also had a higher average SAT score than non-legacy students, at 1523 for legacy students and 1491 for non-legacy students.

Gee, you’re right. That survey was of matriculated students, not admitted students. Approximately 15% of those admitted, don’t matriculate.

But even so, the scores seem low, even without considering the likelihood that those with low scores just went test optional. Maybe those matriculants who had applied test optional still reported their scores on the survey?

2 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking could be, or students could have not been truthful. We will know in a few months when the CDS comes out!

Anecdotally, last year numbers could be an aberration from the norm. I know a nearby low test score school which has not had an NMSF student or Harvard admit for over ten years ended up having three Harvard admits who all matriculated, one of them was EA. On the other hand, over a dozen schools here with more than ten NMSFs had not a single H admit earlier this year. I think the unusual pattern in test score may be reflected in the anonymous survey.

1 Like

My daughter got the email 8 days after submission and had it a few days later.

1 Like

I remember a couple of years ago, first year college admits had SAT scores below 1500. Hence, the whole lawsuit. Why are they admitting first time college kids, often African American, with scores under 1500, when they could admit an asian kid with 1600 SAT. And they increased first time college to 14% last year. So why the scores are low.

Test scores are not highly correlated with college success.

Regarding this year’s average score we really don’t have good information, all we have is a self-reported survey for 78% of the class.

We don’t know what proportion of matriculants applied test optional, nor do we have a test score for all those who did apply with a test score. As I said above, things will be more clear when the CDS is published in a few months.

My son submitted his App on 11/1. Another person from his HS submitted hers around that time as well. A HA interviewer reached out to her within 2 days. My son finally got an email on 11/12. I think they stagger based on availability – but everyone should get a reach out email.

1 Like

will it affect the candidacy of an applicant getting accepted if s/he doesn’t get interviewed?

1 Like